I'm done buying 12 oz. bags of coffee - Page 5

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
DaveC

#41: Post by DaveC »

Intrepid510 wrote:If 12 is too little, buy 2 bags. Problem solved. Most are reasonable with their prices..
I think your totally missing the point....

Intrepid510

#42: Post by Intrepid510 »

What point is that? Moaning about paying relatively cheap prices for coffee? Give me a break.

Spitz.me

#43: Post by Spitz.me »

Yes, you've missed the point...

Unless it's a coffee I really want to try I will always buy the 1lb option. But, I'm okay with getting 12oz at a reduced rate. I've seen 'espresso' options sold from two different roasters locally for the same price but one offers 12oz and the other 1lb. I choose 1lb nine times out of 10. Both are great coffees, I get more mileage from my dollar with the 1lb without sacrificing quality and that's the end of that.

Shrinking packages with the same price as the previously larger packages are a phenomena happening in the packaged food industry due to increased commodity prices or whatever else that might be impacting the supply (Cereal boxes, sauces, cans of goods, etc.)
LMWDP #670

bean2friends

#44: Post by bean2friends »

Spitz.me wrote:Yes, you've missed the point...

Shrinking packages with the same price as the previously larger packages are a phenomena happening in the packaged food industry due to increased commodity prices or whatever else that might be impacting the supply (Cereal boxes, sauces, cans of goods, etc.)
I call it 4 pounds of sh.... in a 5 pound bag.

Bob_McBob

#45: Post by Bob_McBob »

What Canadian roasters sell 1 lb bags? 49th Parallel and Rocacini do 1 lb bags for espresso only. Detour offers a measly 2.5% discount for buying 1 lb instead of 12 oz. Fratello offers 2 lb bags for a 4% discount. Transcend offers 2 lb bags of their espresso blend for no discount. Social offers 5 lb bags at a significant discount.

Origins stands out as having 1 lb and 5 lb bags of all their coffees, which is partially negated by the lack of free shipping, like Fratello and 49th Parallel. Overall cost is often quite similar between roasters. Any roaster offering free or discounted shipping has already worked the actual cost of shipping into the price of the coffee, so the comparison is not necessarily simple.
Chris

entropyembrace

#46: Post by entropyembrace »

Cherry Hill Coffee used to have 1 lb bags for $16 for most of their coffees. They switched to 12 oz bags with a baseline price of $12.99 (equivalent to $17.32/lb) I'm pretty sure the smaller packages are just a way of concealing price increases from consumers.

And since we pay more for everything here all our coffee roasters switched to 12oz bags faster too.

canuckcoffeeguy

#47: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Bob_McBob wrote:What Canadian roasters sell 1 lb bags? 49th Parallel and Rocacini do 1 lb bags for espresso only. Detour offers a measly 2.5% discount for buying 1 lb instead of 12 oz. Fratello offers 2 lb bags for a 4% discount. Transcend offers 2 lb bags of their espresso blend for no discount. Social offers 5 lb bags at a significant discount.

Origins stands out as having 1 lb and 5 lb bags of all their coffees, which is partially negated by the lack of free shipping, like Fratello and 49th Parallel. Overall cost is often quite similar between roasters. Any roaster offering free or discounted shipping has already worked the actual cost of shipping into the price of the coffee, so the comparison is not necessarily simple.
Social Coffee and Tea Co. offers 5lb bags. This would qualify for free shipping, on top of some very reasonable prices by Canadian roastery standards.

beer&mathematics

#48: Post by beer&mathematics »

I wish all roasters included shipping into the price. That would make it easier for us shoppers and maybe for roasters too. Joshua, is this a new thread idea? :lol: unless this already exists and I've missed it
LMWDP #431

wsfarrell

#49: Post by wsfarrell »

entropyembrace wrote:... I'm pretty sure the smaller packages are just a way of concealing price increases from consumers...
Agree. I keep a spreadsheet with total price per ounce; it helps. After Redbird, the least expensive beans are local--no surprise. That Black Cat must be some fine coffee.......

jbviau
Supporter ★

#50: Post by jbviau »

beer&mathematics wrote:I wish all roasters included shipping into the price. That would make it easier for us shoppers and maybe for roasters too. Joshua, is this a new thread idea? :lol: unless this already exists and I've missed it
I could start one if you'd like. Let's revisit the topic over there. As an aside, I know many are skeptical of "free shipping" since roasters offering such deals typically build shipping costs into the price of the coffees they sell, but we're all adults and can do the math for ourselves.

Edit: Any roasters offering "free shipping" with no minimum purchase?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias