How many pint jars = 5 pounds?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
grussgott

#1: Post by grussgott »

Hi All,

Hoping any of you that freeze in Ball jars can tell me how many 1 pint jars I'll need to freeze 5lbs worth of beans.

Thanks!

jasonmolinari

#2: Post by jasonmolinari »

I don't know about pint jars, but i can fit 12 oz of beans in a quart jar...

dialydose

#3: Post by dialydose »

I don't freeze, but I do use jars for storage. You will need at least 3 jars for each pound, maybe a little over that, so I would count on about 15-18 jars.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

It's also going to depend on the type of bean that you're storing from the large maragogype beans to the small peaberries there's going to be some variation.

I roast about 300 grams per batch and the net is usually about 250 grams of beans (8.8 oz). This will usually fit in three 8 oz jelly jars, I'll keep one at home, take one to work, and freeze the third.

For green beans, they'll be even smaller and I usually store my greens in half-gallon canning jars under vacuum, but I don't have a typical weight figure handy for that right now.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

2 pints to a quart, one pound is around one quart so around 10 jars but the bean will make a difference. I would get 15 and see how far that gets you. Or you could get 4, put the rest in quart jars then when you empty the last pint just divide up one of the quart jars.
Dave Stephens

Aleks192

#6: Post by Aleks192 »

grussgott wrote:Hi All,

Hoping any of you that freeze in Ball jars can tell me how many 1 pint jars I'll need to freeze 5lbs worth of beans.

Thanks!
I froze 5lbs of beans in 12 500ml (pint) mason jars....the 12th one was about half full

da gino

#7: Post by da gino »

To put it another way you will get roughly 6 oz per pint jar, but the exact roast will alter that up or down about an ounce.

werbin

#8: Post by werbin »

I am puzzled by the responses so far.
A "pint" jar is 16 ounces of liquid volume. Approximately 1 pound of water.
A quart jar is 32 ounces. Approximately 2 pounds of water.

I use 4 oz bell jars and find that it takes 5 - 6 jars for a pound of coffee beans.
The number of jars depends on the size of the beans and the volume they take up.

A pint jar should have the volume of 4 x 4oz jars.
If those are really pint jars that you have, I would guess that 5 pounds of beans would require 6 - 8 jars.

Aleks192

#9: Post by Aleks192 »

I don't know how it can be puzzling or misleading.... :) the box said 500ml mason jars, which is a happy medium between the US pint (473ml), and the british pint (570ml), so you can see that if there is a discrepancy in volume of up to nearly 25%, that would give you the 8 vs. 11. There are lots of jar manufacturers, and I'm sure they use different basis for pint depending on where you are. I'm just using 500ml jars because I'm in Canada, and the only way to relate that is to call it a pint jar. My "pint" jar just measured 498ml, or 17.6oz (in weight of water, which is equivalent to volume, as 1ml of water = 1 gram). Unless 49th was really generous and gave me alot more than 5lbs of coffee (I always accept more coffee), then my 5lbs went into 11.5 mason jars....no voodoo I swear :lol:

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

And this is why, years after my formal education, I've finally switched to using grams, liters, and degrees Celsius when I work with coffee. I still don't understand why coffee is still sold in pounds, but from what I've read the amount listed often has only a passing relation to the actual weight of the coffee bags.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272