How do you store your coffee in the short term?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
kam1996

#1: Post by kam1996 »

Hello all,

I get a couple of 16 oz bags from Zoka coffee and the same from Counter culture every month. (for the sake of variety)
For now, I keep the opened bag of coffee in a vacuum sealed container while we go through the remaining bag. The unopened bags are stored in the pantry.

I have heard of people storing the bags in either the fridge or freezer (if the storage in long term)

Just wondering what most people are doing for short term storage

innermusic

#2: Post by innermusic »

Assuming it comes in a proper airtight bag with one way valve, I just roll up the bag, excluding as much air as possible, tuck in the little flaps, and put an elastic around the whole bag. Low tech, but seems to be the same or better than when I used mason jars, which of course contain more air than the re-sealed bags, and allow more light if they are not inside a cupboard.
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario

Bob_McBob

#3: Post by Bob_McBob »

Unopened bags go in the freezer with the one-way valve taped over. When I open a 12 oz bag, I transfer it into 3-4 small mason jars, which I then vacuum seal and place back in the freezer. I remove a jar from the freezer as required. Sometimes I use frozen coffee straight from the freezer like a few other HB members, and I haven't noticed any taste issues, though it does tend to run slower for the same grind setting.
Chris

innermusic

#4: Post by innermusic »

Bob_McBob wrote:Sometimes I use frozen coffee straight from the freezer like a few other HB members, and I haven't noticed any taste issues, though it does tend to run slower for the same grind setting.
Wouldn't pulling a shot from frozen coffee result in a lower intra-shot temperature?
Steve Holt

kolu

#5: Post by kolu »

You defrost it during the grinding.

innermusic

#6: Post by innermusic replying to kolu »

It's still a lot colder than ambient temperature though.
Steve Holt

Burner0000

#7: Post by Burner0000 »

They should be fine as long as your getting rid of as much air as possible in the bags. I personally use mason jars for long and short time usage.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

entropyembrace

#8: Post by entropyembrace »

innermusic wrote:It's still a lot colder than ambient temperature though.
Actually it's only slightly cooler than ambient temperature after hand grinding, and doesn't result in any perceptible difference with my thermometry or taste balance. Since electric grinding actually heats the coffee a bit I'm sure Chris's coffee really is back up to ambient temp when he uses it.

Burner0000

#9: Post by Burner0000 »

IMO nothing beats freshly roasted coffee. I roast 1.4 lb batches resulting in around 550g of roasted coffee. Drinking only 1 or 2 a day (20g drip or triple Americano) I get 3 weeks to a month of coffee. I don't even notice any staleness until week 3. By then I am getting ready to roast again.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

Intrepid510

#10: Post by Intrepid510 »

If you haven't noticed any fall off in the quality of your coffee, I think you are doing fine. Don't go looking for a problem when you don't have one because you will find it. ;)