How do you choose your coffee?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
RyanJE

#1: Post by RyanJE »

There is a crazy amount of information and discussion here about how to choose a (fill in the blank with equipment type)... However, there is a small amount of info/discussion about how to choose a coffee (aside from fresh roasted at reputable roaster). I think the "what's wowing you" thread is great, but, that is the result of a thought process that occurred to get that specific coffee. It's an end not a means.

I am very curious about how people go about selecting their next coffee (especially thoughts from people much more experienced than myself).

At any given time a good roaster can easily have over a dozen coffees available that represent a variety of regions, roasts, flavor profiles, processing methods, and value for the money... Quite honestly, it's probably every bit as involved as picking a machine given that the selection changes significantly faster.

So if you are going to place an order for coffee right now, what's your thought process and why?
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

You pose some great questions and make some good points.

As for myself I ask what is the brew method I require coffee for, espresso or drip\pour-over as I use different coffees for each. Also take into account what my palate feels like next since I like to change it up and discover new coffees or exercise my taste buds from time to time. I'm lucky to have many good roasters fairly close by and tend to buy local as I usually pick-up direct from the roaster. Price to value also plays a factor but not the main factor. Specials and discounts may sway me to try a particular coffee if it's within one of the roasters. At times I'm driving by a particular roaster and may conveniently stop in.
A local roaster has given me a friends and family discount which is great but I still cycle roasters based on above factors.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

SAB

#3: Post by SAB »

RyanJE wrote: So if you are going to place an order for coffee right now, what's your thought process and why?
I could never figure this out. You spend a lot of money, and end up with coffee that is not exactly to your liking. Too dark or too light, too much whatever...The descriptors SOUND great, but they don't always match up...

If you find a roast you like, are you forever confined to that blend or roaster?

That's why I started roasting my own...I occasionally get coffee that's not exactly what I want, but it's because I'm experimenting. And I ALWAYS have good, readily available back-up...

The best way to really get to know coffee, in my opinion, is to identify origins. That means exploring Single Origins, and the best way to do that, is to roast it lots of different ways, so you understand the various aspects of it.

Of course, that's a completely different rabbit hole...

spressomon

#4: Post by spressomon »

I subscribe to Coffee Review especially for listing roast level (Agtron). But at the end of the day I mostly stay within about 10 or so roasters I know I can depend on.

Since moving from the LI to the Slayer I am enjoying lighter roast levels for the first time (having the Mahlgut solidly anchored makes hand grinding light roasts a non event now too).

Was recently referred to Beacon by a friend and very much liking their beans. Ditto for Cat & Cloud.
No Espresso = Depresso

Goldensncoffee

#5: Post by Goldensncoffee »

I roast my own so I have full control over roast level. As far as tasting notes I go by what the seller says. Also have a general idea of what origins I tend to like.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by Peppersass »

This is a problem that requires you to assess multiple variables at the same time. You need to make decisions on the following preferences:

1. Type (Single Origin or Blend)
2. If Single Origin, which one(s); if Blend, what kind(s)
3. Processing Method
4. Roast Level
5. Roaster

1. I choose single origin coffees more often than blends because I like to explore the characteristics of different origins. But I also drink blends that I've found to have exceptional flavor. Usually I have one or two single origin coffees and one blend in the freezer and defrost whichever one I feel like drinking for a few days.

2. I like Ethiopian coffees best because they tend to be more acidic and fruity than other origins. I've never found a Kenyan coffee that I like for espresso. I like some of the Central American origins, but not as much as the Ethiopian. Sometimes I like to go off the beaten path with something like a Yemen Moka or Sumatran. As for blends, I generally prefer modern blends, which tend to be mixtures of 2-3 high-quality light-roasted single origins, as opposed to traditional blends, which tend to be darker and don't always contain the best beans. That said, some of the traditional Italian blends with Robusta are fun every now and then, either from Italy or a roaster like Cafe Lusso. These blends re-create the espresso experiences I've had in Europe.

3. Processing method is usually a more subtle difference, but with some origins it can make a larger difference. For example, some Ethiopian natural process coffees have very strong berry overtones. This is probably a fermentation effect from natural processing, but if you like berrylicious espresso it's great. Most of what I buy is wet process, but when I spot a new natural process coffee on a roaster website I'll often give it a try. Of course, processing method has different effects depending on the origin, so again it's a problem with more than one variable to assess.

4. Roast level is probably the easiest to decide. Light-roasted coffees tend to be more acidic and sometimes fruity, while darker roasted coffees tend to be less acidic and more chocolaty. Medium roasts are sort of in the middle -- either the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds. Unfortunately, it doesn't end with choosing a color. You have to learn how to optimize the pull for the roast level. Lighter roasted coffees are notoriously more difficult to extract and may require special techniques and/or equipment. Darker roasts can be pulled more easily with most equipment, but you still have to know how to avoid over extraction and bitterness. I prefer high-quality light roast single origin coffees, but I don't like ultra-light roasts. They can be very hard to extract, and I've had to do some heavy mods to my espresso machine to get decent cups that aren't overly sour. Sometimes an ultra-light will be underdeveloped and grassy, and there's no technique that can fix it. Sometimes light roasts can be pulled longer (lungo) to extract more, but they'll be weaker. After a lot of frustration with sour cups, I've recently been buying more light-to-medium roasts and have even enjoyed some darker roasted blends of the Italian style. If you're uncertain about your roast-level preferences, keep a few beans of each bag you try. Paste them to a piece of paper and label them for comparison.

5. You can find the names of many high-quality specialty roasters in the List of Our Favorite Roasters. Many specialty roasters keep to pretty-much the same roast level across similar portions of their product line, so once you get a feel for a given roaster's style, you'll have a good idea of how they roast most of their SOs and blends.

If you want to find coffees that taste best to you,there's really no way around sampling different coffees, processing methods, roast levels and roasters. It will take a while to get a strong sense of what you like and who can supply it. As with most things in the world of espresso, there are no shortcuts and you'll have to spend some money to get to the promised land.

FJ60Cam

#7: Post by FJ60Cam »

There's so many choices, it can be overwhelming for sure. I typically choose from only a handful of roasters, and pick beans that sound interesting. Descriptions and roast levels are subjective, and vary from roaster to roaster, so it helps to calibrate your expectations from a particular roaster from past experiences.

I also trade recommendations from trusted friends with whom I share at least a few favorites and can use as a benchmark to compare notes.

shawndo

#8: Post by shawndo »

I read home-barista.com and see what people are raving about!
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

FJ60Cam

#9: Post by FJ60Cam »

While I rarely order the same thing more than twice in a row, I like to go back from time to time and re-try old favorites that may have become boring, to see how my tastes have changed.

maigre

#10: Post by maigre »

I'm not a roaster, so I only buy bags from roasters I know I like or think I might like. My overwhelming preference is to buy coffees I've already tasted in a cafe. Otherwise, the potential for disappointment is too great.

There's a lot of hype from roasters and the coffee media. They have nice web pages and alluring descriptions, even if they don't bother to proofread their copy in a lot of cases. :) Best to ignore a lot of it.