Holiday coffees

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
[creative nickname]

#1: Post by [creative nickname] »

I thought it might be fun to get a thread going regarding people's favorite "holiday" coffees. Are there particular origins that you prefer to drink this time of year? Are there particular roasters who have a holiday offering that your particularly like? If you make your own holiday blends, what characteristics do you try and highlight?

To get things started, this year I am putting together a blend of four coffees for my friends and relatives. The ingredients are, in roughly equal parts:

Burundi Kayanza (C roast)
Columbia El Establo (C+ roast)
Guat. Huehuetenango (FC roast)
Yemen Mokha Ismaili (C+/FC roast)

The breakdown here is that the Burundian and Colombian coffees lend some fruits (plum, raisins, and apricot dominate) while the Huehue adds some nice deep chocolates, and the Mokha contributes a nice bit of body and spice. The overall impression is balanced and approachable (as I don't want to freak out some of my relatives who have little exposure to specialty coffee), and it reminds me very pleasantly of a nice mincemeat tart, with a pleasant mix of spices and fruit.

So how about you?
LMWDP #435

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

The only Holiday Coffee I have had is my own which is 50% Tanzanian, 35% Ethiopian Misty Valley, and 15% Rwandan. It is a sweet cup of coffee with some citrus as it cools.

Advertisement
csepulv

#3: Post by csepulv replying to Bodka Coffee »

I just got your Holiday blend and I can attest that it makes a sweet espresso. :D
Chris