Help with 49th Parallel Epic Espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
MountRoyal

#1: Post by MountRoyal »

Living in Canada I see 49th Parallel Epic Espresso all over the place and honestly have never been a big fan of the Epic Espresso. I find it often overly acidic and lacking in warmth. I've never bought it for my home set-up until now. I figured I needed to try it since it's so highly respected. Now at home I find the same results, it tastes rather sharp, acidic and tart and I'm not looking forward to forcing myself to get through the whole bag.
Anybody have suggestions as how to brew it to get more body and sweetness perhaps? I'm using a Silvia with PID and a Baratza Vario. A barista recently suggested brewing lighter roast coffees at a higher temperature. I tried 94-95 C for this, will experiment with other things.
I just noticed on the 49th Parallel website that they have a new espresso blend called "Old School" which is roasted a little darker and less acidic, I'm eager to try that one. I should say that I do enjoy a nice balanced acidity in other coffees.

entropyembrace

#2: Post by entropyembrace »

I haven't tried epic but try reducing your dose and grinding finer to get more caramels extracted. That usually works for highly acidic coffees for me :)

MountRoyal (original poster)

#3: Post by MountRoyal (original poster) »

That's interesting, I'll try that. I made my first shot at 20g (over dosing in a 17g VST basket) yielding around 35g of liquid at around 28seconds with the hope it would be fuller and richer, maybe that's the wrong way to go. I'll try it simply at 17g with a finer grind and see what happens.
Thanks,
Matt

jonny

#4: Post by jonny »

entropyembrace wrote:I haven't tried epic but try reducing your dose and grinding finer to get more caramels extracted. That usually works for highly acidic coffees for me :)
+1 a bit hotter, a bit finer, a bit slower. Preferably adjust one thing at a time. So you know what made what change and so you don't end up over compensating. I'd first adjust finer and slower with a lower dose. Maybe 14-16 grams in and 16-20 grams out in about 35 seconds. Then I'd bring in the temperature change if needed.
49th shops pull heavy triple ristrettos. I believe around 24 grams in and about 30 ml out, so maybe 24 grams or less out. I found their espresso "salty" but otherwise balanced, but this was in a macchiato. I'd first try this to replicate what they do just to make sure I've got a handle on the bean and then work my way backwards a few grams at a time until I get what tastes best to me. Cafes won't always pull espresso the way you like it. It isn't always the beans, so there is still hope in your bag of Epic. For example I honestly prefer the shots I pull of Stumptown's Hairbender on my humble little machine as opposed to their sports car La Marzocco Mistrals. Not because my machine is better nor because I'm a better barista, but just because I like a little bit different brew parameter, that's all.

Vince Piccolo

#5: Post by Vince Piccolo »

Hi Mount Royal,
Thanks for considering Epic Espresso.

In our cafes and online for all customers we recommend the following parameters for Epic:
18 gr dry ( 18gr VST baskets)
28 second exraction
30-32 gr liquid
55-58% extraction

9 bars pressure
200-201 degrees F

These are the same parameters we use in our cafes. There was a comment that we use triples but that is not accurate. You should get a balanced espresso with some acidity on the cup.

If the espresso still has too much acidity I recommend trying our Old School Espresso which has dark cocao, caramel and a syrupy finish. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Vince

#6: Post by MountRoyal (original poster) »

Thanks for the information. I did find these parameters last night on your website Vince and I appreciate it when roasters give that info. I'm getting a more balanced cup now but still need to tighten the flow a bit, the last shot I made at 18g came out at about 38-40g liquid so I think when I hit a 30-32g output the flavours will likely be richer. I'm also getting accustomed to the acidity, part of that is my personal taste I guess. I do often enjoy what I refer to as more acidic coffees but I guess it's just not my preferred flavour profile, to each his own I guess. I'm willing to admit that what I'm making on my home set up probably doesn't taste as good as drinking the same thing at a good espresso bar.
I spotted your new Old School blend and am excited to try that. I'm going to check at Cafe Myriade in Montreal to see if they have any. Shipping costs will likely prevent me from ordering it online...I'll just get my brother in Vancouver to pick some up and mail it along with my kids' Christmas presents ;)
Thanks,
Matt

Vince Piccolo

#7: Post by Vince Piccolo »

Hi Matt,

I think you should tighten up the pour a bit. You will get more body and syrup notes.

I don't think Myriade orders Old School since they love higher acidity and lighter coffees. Send me an email at vince(at)49thparallelroasters(dot)com and I'll arrange someone to let you know where in Montreal you can pick up some Old School.

Thanks,
Vince

#8: Post by MountRoyal (original poster) »

Very cool. I'm looking forward to tweaking that in the morning, thanks Vince. I was getting some more complexity coming through on my 2nd round, hints of floral flavours and fruits coming through which I didn't get as much in my first attempts, a taste I associate with Ethiopian coffees, which I see from the 49th Parallel website is in this blend. So next is to tighten the pour for more body and syrupy notes then.
Thanks for the hints, that's what I was hoping to get when I started this thread and it's helping me improve my espresso. I regret coming out a little strong in my first post, a little unnecessarily negative I would say but hey I get excited about coffee sometimes. I'm guessing there are others passionate about coffee here too...
A side observation: on my home set up I find that certain types of coffees are more successful than others, lighter roasts I find definitely more challenging, it takes longer to really nail it (or in some cases I go through a whole bag and really never nail it). Slightly darker roasts seem much more forgiving, it comes out decent even if I don't quite nail it. Talking to a skilled barista the other day, he also finds lighter roasts more challenging so maybe it's not limited to home espresso set ups vs. commercial machines but certainly for them it's easier to get the desired flavour outcome.
Thanks,
Matt

picklesman

#9: Post by picklesman »

I also look forward to trying Old School, so please post here where/when it's available in Montreal, MountRoyal.

By the way, if you're ever on St. Denis right near Laurier metro, stop by the Knife. I had an amazing shot of Epic there the other day, very balanced between the fruit notes and a bit of chocolate/caramel.

Vince Piccolo

#10: Post by Vince Piccolo »

Hi Matt,
Don't worry about coming on strong. There's always a solution in the end.

I agree that darker roasts are slightly more forgiving but I always enjoy a challenge! Getting great shots with light roast espresso's makes you a better barista in the end.