Help me keep the wife happy...with espresso she likes

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
JavaRanger

#1: Post by JavaRanger »

The title says it all, I am trying to find an espresso that she likes. She wants something with dark chocolate notes, no citrus or fruit and something smooth and nutty. It can can have a strong punch.

None of what I just wrote might make sense so maybe just give me some ideas. No judging...prior to this she drank illy Brazil and Lavazza.

Thinking CC hologram might work... But if not I need to have some back up beans.

:D

keno

#2: Post by keno »

As a home roaster I'm not the best person to recommend particular roasted coffees (since I seldom buy them), but from what you describe I would say definitely look for Brazilians or blends that are predominantly Brazilian - lots of chocolate, nutty, smooth, and good body.

Advertisement
njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by njtnjt »

CQ Coffee Roasters in Bedford NH - order her some espresso Motoretta.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

Desmo490

#4: Post by Desmo490 »

I was just going to suggest the Motoretta!
I just finished my first pound of this. It's a Brazilian, chocolate and nutty. I loved it straight, but if you add a bit of steamed milk....it really enhances the chocolate and almond!

LukeFlynn

#5: Post by LukeFlynn »

CC Hologram is probably not the blend to go for, I've had it.. and while I enjoyed it it was definitely more fruit forward than chocolatey. I am loving Intelligentsia's Black Cat analog.. it's a little pricey and I buy it in bulk ($84 for 5lbs). Big Trouble from Counter Culture is pretty good, Baroida is good too!
Have you considered Red Bird Coffee? Their standard espresso is awesome, and I hear their sweet blue is very chocolatey (like most brazils).. and coming in at just $50ish for 5lbs it's a steal!

Illy and Lavazza might be where her frustration started.. Never enjoyed either of them. I also find most espresso with a lot of chocolate notes to be better as milk based drinks.. and the frutier ones to be great as a straight up shot.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mgwolf »

Try Vivace Dolce or Vita, both are excellent (and to my taste fairly similar). Also, just had some Caffe Fresco Brazilian Daterra which is VERY chocolaty and smooth with no citrus at all. Caffe Fresco is on the east coast but ship everything (reasonably) via Priority Mail. I got some of their signature blend, Ambrosia, but haven't tried it yet. Last had it 4 years ago. But the Brazilian is great.

Also, Peet's Major Dickason's Blend is probably available easily in your area and, although dark, is quite smooth and makes a good capp. I don't care for most of the other Peet's coffees though.

Balthazar_B

#7: Post by Balthazar_B »

I'll second Red Bird Espresso, as well as Mountain Air Roasting's Black Mountain. Both are chocolate/caramel bombs. As well as pretty forgiving and easy to dial in, although the Black Mountain is roasted a bit dark for my taste.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Advertisement
LukeFlynn

#8: Post by LukeFlynn replying to Balthazar_B »

I've heard mixed things about Mountain Air - Their black mountain seems to dark, but the others look too light. I'm sticking with Intelly.

JavaRanger (original poster)

#9: Post by JavaRanger (original poster) »

Thank you all for the help! My wife has a Nespresso Machine that she used prior to us getting married. In the last 2 months I got a Profitec Pro 700 so if al goes well she will bring the Nespresso machine to the office. I will let you know how it goes, keep any other suggestions coming because I have not heard of CQ before.

I ordered the Analog Espresso which I have had before and enjoy =), and CQ Coffee Roasters Espresso Motoretta. Each week or so I'll try something new.

Tomtg

#10: Post by Tomtg »

I really enjoyed this espresso from George Howell.
http://store.georgehowellcoffee.com/cof ... rrazu.html

Both in milk and straight up.

However to be honest I don't brew it as espresso but as a moka pot or French press.

But it was great in both!