Heart Roasters low pressure espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Jepy

#1: Post by Jepy »

I was at Heart's Portland cafe, and tried their "Stereo" blend and as a shot. What was interesting is that the barista told me they brew it at between 5-6 bar flat.
Temp 198
Dose 19.5 gramms in 39 gramms out

Ok. As I expected I guess, not bad, but not great either. Mouthfeel somewhat thin, flavor and texture was the same from top to bottom,
No middle, no finish. And this was without a stir.

I do appreciate that they are showing what they see their coffee as, just maybe not my style. Does anyone else brew this way?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

I hadn't heard of this in a cafe before, but I believe that that's about the pressure of my La Peppina with the lever unassisted. It does result in less crema and a thinner shot, but there's more clarity to the shot.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
damonbowe

#3: Post by damonbowe »

Considering their prices, I'm not thrilled with Heart.

caldwa

#4: Post by caldwa »

The newer pressure profiling commercial machines like the Slayer use a soft pre-brew, maybe the found this particular coffee works better with a low brew pressure? Given that heart roasts on the lighter spectrum, perhaps this is one way they are showcasing different qualities of their coffee without it becoming a brightness bomb? If that's the case, it's a welcome experiment to me.

Balthazar_B

#5: Post by Balthazar_B »

FWIW, I was chatting with one of the founders of Nom De Plume roasters in Phoenix -- who also roast their coffees on the lighter side -- and he recommended trying a very long pull using about 6 bars of pressure with their Signature Blend. Perhaps that helps to draw out the caramels and lessen the astringency with lighter roasted beans?
- John

LMWDP # 577

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

With Heart I've found on more than one occasion that they're revealing many delicate flavors in the aftertaste. I had a Huehuetenango there a few weeks ago that was pulled at low pressure. The complexity of that shot didn't hit me until I was walking out the door, and then it was sensational. So they're roasting light but it isn't underdeveloped and they reveal many flavor notes with their brewing techniques, which include AeroPress.

Early this fall I was in New York and had a shot of a Hacienda Esmeralda at Kaffe 1668 that was pulled a bit longer than I'm used to. I don't know the pressure profile, but they were using a Synesso Cyncra. It wasn't the syrupy mouthfeel I've grown to like but there were many flavor layers ending with one that was like nectar.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

treyrox

#7: Post by treyrox »

I've played with lower pressure extensively on my Portaspresso and also on my Strega.
I'm currently pulling 19g in 38g out shots of a light filter roast natural Ethiopian.
The shots are amazing and very similar in color to the photo of the OP.
Amazing flavors, reduced mouthfeel.