Group tasting (online) - interested?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
gr2020

#1: Post by gr2020 »

I've found it useful and fun to try the same coffees as others have tried, and compare what I think I'm tasting (along with ratios and such) with what others have found.

I was thinking we could do something like that here, with anyone who's interested. Here's what I had in mind:

- we would throw out some ideas, then vote on a particular coffee to try (for espresso prep).
- we'd all order at the same time, so we would get it from the same batch (or at least roasted the same day)
- over the next couple of weeks, we'd all post whatever notes we have, and chat about it.
- then, if it was fun, we'd repeat for the next month!

It wouldn't be blind, or anything fancy like the Favorite espressos threads. Just us "regular" folks, all trying a new coffee together. And we'd all be buying our own, no free bags likely to be showing up on your doorstep!

Anyone interested?

UPDATE: we will place our first order this weekend (Feb 10-12), for roast/ship on Monday Feb 13; ordering Counter Culture La Golondrina (https://counterculturecoffee.com/shop/c ... golondrina). There's nothing else you need to do - just order the coffee, and then chat about it when you try it!

UPDATE 2: here is the discussion thread for this first coffee: Counter Culture La Golondrina (group tasting)

Advertisement
johnny4lsu

#2: Post by johnny4lsu »

We're doing something similar on the North forum except we are roasting our own (same greens) and then shipping it off to others in the group. Then we post profiles, discuss, and compare different nuances.

gr2020 (original poster)

#3: Post by gr2020 (original poster) »

Thanks Johnny. I'm really surprised at the utter lack of interest in this thread - I thought people would be excited to talk about coffee, especially with others tasting the same thing. :(

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

Well, I would have some interest!
Scott
LMWDP #248

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by RockyIII »

I would enjoy participating, but I don't think I would be very helpful to others. It would mostly be for my own education and experience. I have never tasted coffee or espresso with an experienced taster in order to train my tasting and descriptive abilities. I certainly know when I like something, but I am not good at describing the nuances and why I like it using the terminology I see here and elsewhere.

Rocky

Schalicto

#6: Post by Schalicto »

I'm interested.

[creative nickname]

#7: Post by [creative nickname] »

Sounds like fun!
LMWDP #435

Advertisement
gr2020 (original poster)

#8: Post by gr2020 (original poster) »

Awesome! Glad to see things picking up here. :) Let's give it another day or two for stragglers, then we'll pick a coffee and maybe order next week.
RockyIII wrote:I would enjoy participating, but I don't think I would be very helpful to others. It would mostly be for my own education and experience. I have never tasted coffee or espresso with an experienced taster in order to train my tasting and descriptive abilities. I certainly know when I like something, but I am not good at describing the nuances and why I like it using the terminology I see here and elsewhere.
I'm very often in the same boat - I can sometimes pick out flavors on my own, but often I taste something and I can't put my finger on what it is. I like hearing what others are tasting, and I can compare to my own experience. For example, reading through the Favorite espresso 2016 thread, which was about the Cafe Lusso Gran Miscela Carmo, helped me identify some nut flavors I was tasting but couldn't put words to. And now, when I taste them elsewhere, I can identify them much more easily.

gr2020 (original poster)

#9: Post by gr2020 (original poster) »

Actually, why don't we start picking out a coffee. I'd like to propose one mentioned by LukeFlynn on the "wowing" thread:
LukeFlynn wrote:Counter Culture Coffee - La Golondrina (Cauca, Columbia)

I've had this coffee before around this time last year.. But this crop... it is PURE excellence.

I dialed it in on the Sette to the following:

18g in
35g out
34 seconds

It is vibrant and exceptionally fruity straight, adding milk really brings out some milk chocolate. I just made a 10oz (I know... milky!) latte that tastes like a Cadbury milk chocolate bar. I'm not kidding. This could potentially ve the most well rounded single origin espresso I've had, it's rare that I enjoy non-blends so well straight and in milk, especially that much milk.

This is going to be a staple until it's out of season, I like it far more than any of the blends that CC is doing right now.
Here's the link on the CC site:
https://counterculturecoffee.com/shop/c ... golondrina

If you're up for that one, say so, otherwise post some other ideas and we can pick one!

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by RockyIII »

Greg,

Counter Culture La Golondrina sounds good to me. I have actually thought about trying it before but never got around to it.

Rocky