Good roasters in phoenix AZ

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
wynnsayz

#1: Post by wynnsayz »

Hi guys. I'm just stepping into the game of espresso and I was wondering if you guys can recommend (or direct me to the link) some good roasters in phoenix AZ please.

Thank you very much

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by uscfroadie »

Cartel Coffee is your best. Another good one is Press Coffee. I'd recommend stopping by to try some of their coffee to see what you like best.

Cheers!

Merle
Merle

Advertisement
Carsncoffee

#3: Post by Carsncoffee »

I agree with Cartel; have not had Press.

wynnsayz (original poster)

#4: Post by wynnsayz (original poster) »

Thank you very much guys!

gophish

#5: Post by gophish »

As others have said, Cartel and Press are you best bets, if you're ever free on Mondays try hitting up one of the cuppings at Press' roasting facility in South Phoenix.

There's also a new roaster in town that I haven't had the chance to try yet called Nom de Plume Roasters. I believe it is two guys that work or worked at Cartel and are now using Press' roasting facilities for their own stuff. One of the guys is also competing in the Big Western.
Versalab

#6: Post by wynnsayz (original poster) »

Thank you. I appreciate the info. Although as a complete newbie I doubt I'll ever taste the difference. Might hit Press this wednesday since it's on my way to an event in scottsdale.

What sort of drinks should I order to see if this coffee shop/place/roaster is good. It does come down to personal preference but I'm sure there is a bare minimum of good in good roaster that just isn't in starbucks or peets.

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by dumpshot »

gophish wrote:As others have said, Cartel and Press are you best bets, if you're ever free on Mondays try hitting up one of the cuppings at Press' roasting facility in South Phoenix.

There's also a new roaster in town that I haven't had the chance to try yet called Nom de Plume Roasters. I believe it is two guys that work or worked at Cartel and are now using Press' roasting facilities for their own stuff. One of the guys is also competing in the Big Western.
Cartel, Press, and Nom de Plume are my top three as well. One other is The Crepe Bar. They have great food and serve well-prepared Heart Coffee.

I just finished two bags of Nom de Plume's Signature Blend. It is a 50/50 blend of a nice Yirg and I think a Guatemalan. I am really digging it and have been preparing it as an espresso at breakfast and a V60 to go. It is flips all the switches for me of a good blend - nice body and sweetness in the lower end and hints of fruit and aroma of florals on the top. (And it is only $12 for 12 oz bag. Shhh)

I will be getting more of this one while it is around. Cool guys, too. They did a guest barista stint at The Crepe Bar a few weeks ago and I got to sample their coffee as prepared by them. That is always a nice treat to get the coffee brewed as it is intended. That gives me a good baseline to start.
LMWDP #484

Advertisement

#8: Post by wynnsayz (original poster) »

thanks dumpshot

I'll be sure to check them out!

gophish

#9: Post by gophish »

wynnsayz wrote: What sort of drinks should I order to see if this coffee shop/place/roaster is good. It does come down to personal preference but I'm sure there is a bare minimum of good in good roaster that just isn't in starbucks or peets.
I will usually ask which roast/bean(s) they are pulling as espresso, some shops might have a staple blend that works well in milk as well as a SO or something roasted lighter that I'll opt for as a straight shot. My go to order is usually a 1&1, a straight shot and a macchiato.

My fall is looking pretty crazy as of now, but if there's enough interest I would like to try and organize an H-B meetup or crawl sometime in the next few months. I'll post up here if I ever get it in the works.
Versalab

kajer

#10: Post by kajer »

I had a great cup at Lux