Gesha Questions

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
genecounts

#1: Post by genecounts »

Peterson's Panama Boquette started the gesha reputation as being a high cupping coffee right?

One of the owners of Due South Roasters served me a pourover of this outstanding coffee back in the spring. Wow, nirvana.

I have roasted the Guatemala Gesha and it was great but not quite in the class of the Panama IMHO. Could be my Gene Cafe was not up to the standard of his shop roaster?
It was so good from GCBC that I bought a second order of the Guat Gesha from Sweet Maria's back in the winter.
Sadly it is all gone.

Other countries are producing at present and hoping to experience their versions later this year. Would appreciate hearing from anyone with knowledge or opinions.
Thanks.

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

Gene, I have tried many of the Geshas coming down the pike. They differ. A Gesha is not a Gesha is not a Gesha.

You are correct. The Gene will not touch a well executed shop drum roaster but it can provide what I am after in a Gesha, layers and layers of fruits and florals.

I had one Peterson sample and rejected it. It was about an 86 and priced at about $18. I have had others of theirs that were superb. Geshas will vary in quality just as a variety of Bourbons cup and score differently. The Guat Acatenango from SM's/CoffeeShrub have been spectacular; last year was mediocre. Rain/soil/sun all play into as well as the farmer's abilities; processing at the mill is critical.

Tons of Gesha planted in the last 6-7 years. We will see more of them, the price will drop, and we will have an opportunity to sample more Nirvana. Roast on!
-----
LMWDP #339

Bodka Coffee

#3: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I've ordered some panama Esmeralda geisha from roastmasters. It is the private reserve. Looking forward to trying it.

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC replying to Bodka Coffee »

It's fantastic.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

johnny4lsu

#5: Post by johnny4lsu »

Bodka Coffee wrote:I've ordered some panama Esmeralda geisha from roastmasters. It is the private reserve. Looking forward to trying it.
I'm looking forward to trying some of yours :D

genecounts (original poster)

#6: Post by genecounts (original poster) »

BoldJava said:
Tons of Gesha planted in the last 6-7 years. We will see more of them, the price will drop, and we will have an opportunity to sample more Nirvana. Roast on!

A lot more will be on the market as this year progresses. I recently destroyed several coffees from my stash that were at least four years old. Don't want to make the same mistakes in the future on some expensive geshas. Have begun to pay closer attention to cupping scores.
That is why I appreciate Dave's comment that one lot from the Peterson finca cupped 86. That is a real education right there as I have really been naive about what goes on behind the scenes.

And David from Bodka Coffee's comment that he intends to try Roastmasters Esmerelda Gesha Reserve. He will definitely not be disappointed. Nice story on their website about this one. It is from their second harvest.

Over on the GCBC site someone is gauging interest on offering one bag of gesha from this finca. I have wavered on this one but this thread has really helped me to much more intelligent decisions.

Hope more can chime in on gesha as we need a dedicated cupping thread here as the year progresses.
Thanks

Boldjava

#7: Post by Boldjava »

Over on the GCBC site someone is gauging interest on offering one bag of gesha from this finca...
Know your cupper and then trust the notes. Some fincas will segregate their Geshas by fields/areas. Hacienda La Esmeralda does this. http://haciendaesmeralda.com/varieties-and-brands

Each field will cup differently. Peterson's have a superb reputation. Because I evaluated a cup of one of their fields at an 86 is merely one cupper, evaluating one field, in one year. That is all it is. I would buy Peterson's in a minute. Klatch and PT's are offering it.

Roast and cup.

DB
-----
LMWDP #339