George Howell North Italian dose?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
F1

#1: Post by F1 »

Since I got my first espresso machine over 2 years ago I have been using strictly the same coffees(CCCs Hologram, CCCs Big Trouble and Boxcar Coffee Stella). I just received two bags of George Howell's North Italian. For those of you familiar with this blend what dosage, basket, temperature and ounces should I start experimenting with? I just hate starting on the blind. I once went through 3 pounds of Red Bird before I found the best parameters.

pasquiniupgrader

#2: Post by pasquiniupgrader »

What settings did you use for Redbird. I'm going to try that one next?

thanks

portamento

#3: Post by portamento »

I haven't had the GH North Italian in a while, but as a single origin Brazil, it should be relatively easy to dial in. For straight espresso, I would not updose it or pull it too short. Go with a double basket, dose around 16-17g and aim for 32g - 36g output. Should be a lighter-bodied cup with balanced caramel and nut notes.
Ryan

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by njtnjt »

He used to post parameters. The last I copied down were dose 18g coffee, 28g liquid in the cup, at 197 degrees. I have been using those specs recently with his Costa Rican espresso to tasty effect. Hope this helps.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

F1 (original poster)

#5: Post by F1 (original poster) »

Ill give those a try.

F1 (original poster)

#6: Post by F1 (original poster) »

pasquiniupgrader wrote:What settings did you use for Redbird. I'm going to try that one next?

thanks
7-10 days after roast, HQ espresso parts double basket, 19g, 30lbs tamp, 199F, 32secs, 1.5oz. This gave me the best tasting shots of this espresso. I was never blown away by it though. I will give their Jaguar blend a try one of these days.

F1 (original poster)

#7: Post by F1 (original poster) »

This thing is delicious. So I just made 5 shots in a row using 18g, 7 days post roast, HQ double basket, 30lbs tamp, 1.5oz in 28secs, 200.5-198F. It blonds fairly fast(at the 20sec mark), but I don't think it affects the flavor. It has a very delicate sweet milk flavor. It reminds me the most of CCC's Toscano(Big Trouble), but a little less in your face. I haven't tried it with milk, but I don't think the flavor would survive even with a small amount of milk. Next, I'll try several 19.5g and see what happens, but right now is very good as a straight shot.