Freezer Fail

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
innermusic

#1: Post by innermusic »

My freezer went off for a couple of days with lots of my expensive stash in there. Am I screwed? Do I have to drink 40 gallons of espresso in the next 10 days? Or can it be refrozen?
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

Roasted or green? Either way you can refreeze it but the roasted beans will have aged a few days closer to the drop off point.
LMWDP 267

innermusic (original poster)

#3: Post by innermusic (original poster) »

These are all roasted beans. Do you mean to say that the two days that they were unfrozen simply means two days of aging, and they can be refrozen again?
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

And if it's a good freezer and it wasn't opened when it was off, they likely stayed frozen for quite a while after it stopped working.

Ira

Nick Name

#5: Post by Nick Name »

innermusic wrote:These are all roasted beans. Do you mean to say that the two days that they were unfrozen simply means two days of aging, and they can be refrozen again?
While the situation is far from being ideal, coffee isn't like fish or meat. If they melt they can get dangerous for your health. Coffee merely ages. It should not be that big of a deal. Probably they aged as much as they would have in a month in the freezer which is really not that huge issue.

If you never opened the freezer (which you shouldn't) it is a big plus.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

innermusic wrote:These are all roasted beans. Do you mean to say that the two days that they were unfrozen simply means two days of aging, and they can be refrozen again?
Yes, 2 days or maybe less as others mentioned.
LMWDP 267