Favorite Dark Oily Espresso Blends

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
jenjava

#1: Post by jenjava »

Yea... I know it's frowned upon like putting ketchup on filet mignon... but that said... for those who like dark roast beans for espresso... what do you like and or recommend?

I've tried many of the well-known medium roasts... and they don't taste right to me (too fruity). I really prefer a very dark, somewhat oily roast for espresso. I can't be alone... right?

:|

Espresso in SB

#2: Post by Espresso in SB »

Most of the truly dark and oily coffee I've had tasted a bit burned or even rancid to me... have you had some you liked? Which well known roasts didn't you like?

Non-fruity, I'm a big fan of blue bottle "17ft". Not super dark, but for me it's a perfect "espresso" tasting espresso. YMMV 8)

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by RockyIII »

I'm not a fan of really dark roasts, but certainly plenty of people are. If I were you, I would try Peet's Coffee, perhaps Major Dickason's Blend or House Blend.

Rocky

Lacoffee

#4: Post by Lacoffee »

Kimbo superior
Lavazza super crema
Esse miscela masini

With the essse being the "darkest"
But all are "espresso" tasting traditional styles that are cheap and will probably fit your bill.
Andrew

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Caffe Trieste Italian Roast Espresso. Scroll down this page to find it. It's all Arabica, I believe, dark and oily beans but very smooth when pulled at 175F. I don't think they mark roast date, but it'll be fresh. I picked up some June 9 in SF, froze it June 11. Still enjoying it.

http://coffee.caffetrieste.com/shop
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

IMAWriter

#6: Post by IMAWriter »

Superior not oily or dark...well it is darker. :D
2nd on Major Dickason...Costco had 2#'s for $13. I called the company, it was just short of 2 months post roast. Messed up my FORTE at a DRIP grind!!!
Had to clean out the grinder after less than a pound through it. I had guests who like the ultra dark evil brew. Brrrrrrr.

Truth is, the OP could go with the medium dark roasted "Ala Italia" blend from Bodka Coffee, or the always consistently good "Dolce Espresso" from Espresso Vivace Roasterie.

IMAWriter

#7: Post by IMAWriter »

drgary wrote:Caffe Trieste Italian Roast Espresso. Scroll down this page to find it. It's all Arabica, I believe, dark and oily beans but very smooth when pulled at 175F. I don't think they mark roast date, but it'll be fresh. I picked up some June 9 in SF, froze it June 11. Still enjoying it.

http://coffee.caffetrieste.com/shop
WOW, 175f? Just leave the machine in the sun for an hour, eh? :lol:
Do you hand grind that coffee, Gary? I'd be afraid to put it anything electric less powerful than a Mazzer Major. I remember you describing it I believe. Was that the coffee that the roaster "suggests" the grinder and machine best suited to his coffee? A Macap and (forgot the machine.)?

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

I brew all second crack roasts that way. It's not original with me. AeroPress inventor Alan Adler likes roasts just into 2C and tested for that temperature with a group of people. I like to pull it in my Maximatic after a heat flush that completely eliminates the flash boil. 175F exactly? Dunno. I also like to dial in espressos brewing pourover with a PID kettle that tells me temp within 1 degree F. I brewed this coffee in an AeroPress for Cher and Demello and we all found it very smooth.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

OldNuc

#9: Post by OldNuc »

If you like the dark roast and want to just buy it by the Kg bag then KIMBO Extreme should do it,all Arabica beans.

Charlene

#10: Post by Charlene »

You are far from alone, Jen.

Just got a bag of beans on recommendation last week that fulfills my need for the dark side.
Having dialed it in and sampled it, I will buy it again.

https://paradiseroasters.com/ Havana Blend. Yum!
jenjava wrote:Yea... I know it's frowned upon like putting ketchup on filet mignon... but that said... for those who like dark roast beans for espresso... what do you like and or recommend?

I've tried many of the well-known medium roasts... and they don't taste right to me (too fruity). I really prefer a very dark, somewhat oily roast for espresso. I can't be alone... right?

:|