Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Dk. Roasted Beans

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Nag

#1: Post by Nag »

I found a Ethiopian Yirgacheffe-Dk. Roast on the net. Would like opinions on this before I purchase a 2 lb bag. Any input? I have heard that Ethiopian Yirgacheffe is supposed to be one of the choice beans out there? Will be using in my Elektra A Leva. Thanks.....

John
Spes Mea In Deo

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

I would never go dark on a Yirge. Too much of its fruit and delicate flavor nuances would get lost.

Now I might go a few snaps into second with a Brazil, or a Sumatran as a base and toss a lightly roasted Yirge in with it for espresso. I had a Peruvian base - full city plus with a Yirge blended in for a cortado in a shop on Sunday. It was delicious and put me on a hunt for a good Peruvian to try and roast with some Yirges I have in my stash. Never had thought to try a Peruvian underneath for an espresso blend.
-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
Nag (original poster)

#3: Post by Nag (original poster) »

Seen someone using a Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Dark Roast here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOSamQsf0FI
Spes Mea In Deo

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

NO NO NO!

Did I mention no? Of course, you could turn a good Ethiopian into Starbucks if you really must.
Scott
LMWDP #248

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

If you want a dark roast, i.e. rolling second crack, go with a Sumatran or Sulawesi. The deep earthy flavors tend to tolerate darker roasts.
Dave Stephens