Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Janbar from Coffee Shrub

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
compellingrich

#1: Post by compellingrich »

My favorite Ethiopian natural of the year, spoken as someone who loves natural Ethiopians. (I've roasted and stocked three in 2014 - a Yirg zero-defect, the Coffee Shrub Yirg Aricha, and now this.)

I can't speak for the "Grade 1" ECX sorting (I'm having to pre- and post-sort for defects more than any other Shrub lot I've ordered), but the final cup is intense. Tropical fruit from A-point to cup, where I'm finding passion fruit, pineapple, stonefruit, mango, lychee, blueberry, raspberry, meyer lemon, and merlot wine. There's coconut on the retronasal. I'm two-days after roast on my first batch, and wow-ed. Can't wait to see how everything balances out in a week or so.

Definite must-buy.

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Awesome! I bought some today after Amanda said I'd better buy before the weekend as it was going fast. Glad I did and looking forward to trying it.

Advertisement
boar_d_laze

#3: Post by boar_d_laze »

I just ordered 10lbs today. I know what Clark said about going darker for espresso, but I really don't want to put more roaster on it than absolutely necessary. As a starting thought: Maybe try to get some extra depth and stability during Drying and Development rather than taking it darker than FC edge of C+.

In the meantime, I look forward to seeing plots and cupping/tasting notes from the rest of you guys.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

I've ordered 10 pounds. Can't wait to give it a whirl.
LMWDP #435

Bodka Coffee

#5: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Somebody PM'ed me and said GCBC was sold out already!

compellingrich (original poster)

#6: Post by compellingrich (original poster) »

Yeah, I'm keeping this City to City+ at most. The brewed aroma is absolutely incredible. I might stretch the roast profile out for espresso application if any of my accounts want it. But yeah, this is a very very good one. I'm going to stunt and say it's more-intensely flavored than a few geishas I've had this year... and I still haven't dialed in the roast. In 5-8 more roasts it's going to be phenomenal, definitely what I'm bringing to Big Western to represent my company.

johnny4lsu

#7: Post by johnny4lsu »

10lbs on the way...anyone else start roasting this yet? thoughts?

Advertisement
endlesscycles

#8: Post by endlesscycles »

My first roast and taste of the "Janbar" revealed a basically perfect natural. No fermenty taint, but wonderfully balanced sweetness and acidity. Round, full, complete; from first to last sip. Complex, nuanced, and pleasantly quiet. In the same roast session, I roasted the Konga DP, which was absolutely bigger, louder, but showed a slight hollowness once the cup got towards that middle temperature. They were on the table with a Kenya and two espresso roasted washed Yirgs. The DP's were easily my favorite of the day. A first for everything.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

compellingrich (original poster)

#9: Post by compellingrich (original poster) »

Love to trade notes on this, Marshall. I'm keeping it at City, but fiddling with approaching it softer and harder. We both roast on fluid beds, btw.

johnny4lsu

#10: Post by johnny4lsu »

Any thoughts on this coffee?

I've only roasted it once and used 450 grams when I thought I was using 250....Couldn't for the life of me figure out why my profile was acting crazy..I learned my mistake when I weighed my beans post roast...Doh!...Very mediocre outcome due to my screwup.

How's it going for y'all?