Easy coffee beans

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Cullen

#1: Post by Cullen »

I am six months new and have had a good learning experience so far. I have a question regarding the ease or the difficulty of pulling a good shot. I have noticed that of the two different coffees I use one is temperamental and everything has to be done just right (Black Cat). The other coffee (Lavazza) seems to come out good regardless of tamping pressure and the grind given a notch or two. Why is this?

entropyembrace

#2: Post by entropyembrace »

3rd wave coffees like Black Cat are selected and roasted to be intense and interesting, but they require good technique and usually need to be prepared with precise parameters to get the best (or even a good) result.
Old style Italian coffee like Lavazza is usually milder and more forgiving of user error or imprecise equipment so it is easier to get good results, but it's never going to be as good as a really well executed shot of a coffee like Black Cat.

crusty cup

#3: Post by crusty cup »

Cullen wrote:I am six months new and have had a good learning experience so far. I have a question regarding the ease or the difficulty of pulling a good shot. I have noticed that of the two different coffees I use one is temperamental and everything has to be done just right (Black Cat). The other coffee (Lavazza) seems to come out good regardless of tamping pressure and the grind given a notch or two. Why is this?
I've never extracted Lavazza so can't comment on it.

Traditionally, coffee roasted for espresso is roasted to Vienna or French roast level; it's much darker than Black Cat, and it will be much easier to produce a correctly-extracted shot. However it is very bitter, as a straight espresso, while Black cat is predominantly sour. I'd venture to guess most drinkers have a preference for one over the other - which is "best" or most satisfying is up to you & your guests.

TrlstanC

#4: Post by TrlstanC »

My favorite easy to use espresso blend is Caffe Fresco's Ambrosia. It was always super easy to dial in, even on cheap equipment, and seemed especially forgiving of temp changes. Also, it wasn't just a bland "chocolate and nuts" espresso, it had some more complex distilled and dark fruit flavors too.