Do blends 'unblend' and layer during shipment?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
spearfish25

#1: Post by spearfish25 »

So I've been ordering coffee online for some time now. Pretty much everything I've used lately has been a blend rather than SO. Given that all beans aren't created equally, do you guys ever notice that blends layer and separate when shippped or stored? Do you shake'm up before you load the hopper or your mason jars?

Surely there are many factors that can impact my flavors from one cup to the next. But sometimes I wonder if my blend 'unblended' when I have a shot that takes dramatically different than those before or after it without any other parameters dramatically changing.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

This and related questions were thoroughly discussed about 12 years ago on alt.coffee by David Ross, who is a statistician.

Beans of different size and density might segregate; for instance, a blend with denser light roasted beans and less dense dark roast ones might end up with the denser smaller light roast beans at the bottom. However, I don't recall hearing any actual cases; although it sounds like you may be one.

The more prevalent problem is simple random variation in the proportions of beans shot to shot, even assuming the beans are well mixed in the hopper. If you are emaking double shots, it's not a poblem if the blend has two or three ingredients at roughly 50/50 or 33/33/33 proportions. But when you get blends with lots of beans, or with beans that are less than about 15%, all bets are off. A double shot contains about 90 beans, and the bean variance can be calculated using the binomial distribution; a 10% bean can end up anywhere form 0% to 20% shot to shot.

Italian blends which have 10% to 20% robusta are crap shoot if you are grinding single portions. When a cafe uses a filled doser, the problem goes away, since the doser remixes the ground coffee. Portion grinding is a good reason for third wave blenders to stick to two or three roughly even ingredients in their blends.
Jim Schulman

spearfish25 (original poster)

#3: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

Thanks for the great answer. If I want to go OCD when I start home roasting I can keep my beans separate and blend them in a tumbler before grinding. A scoop of this, two scoops of that...

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

I would think that during shipment the package is moving around into different positions, so doubt this could be significant.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. replying to sweaner »

if the beans are all approximately of the same size the "settling" would likely be minimal. If there were large beans an peaberries, the smaller beans would settle through the larger ones, migrating to the bottom (think table tennis balls and BBs). But in shipping!? Only if there exists a shipping company that has enough dedicated employees who actually read AND obey "THIS SIDE UP" stickers.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Bret

#6: Post by Bret »

If the beans are loose enough in the bag, I suppose this could be an issue. But in a tightly filled and sealed bag, I can't see this being a problem.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

From Sweet Maria's website regarding their Liquid Amber blend:
Liquid Amber Note: If the coffee arrives and doesn't appear evenly blended, this is because of the vibration during loading and shipment. I can positively guarantee you that the blend was packed in the exact, correct proportion (we are extremely careful about this), but the difference in size/density of the Monsooned/non-Monsooned can make them separate a bit with vibration. Just give it a stir....
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#8: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

Interesting. How much variation in distribution do you think the actual roasters have between roasting their blended coffees and then later packaging their consumer bags? Say they drop their beans blended before roasting and the roaster automatically stirs them. If you scoop those beans into bags from the top down you'll have a big variation in each bag you package. Really a large blended roast batch needs a tumbler that then doses bags while continuously rotating the beans.

Alan Frew

#9: Post by Alan Frew replying to spearfish25 »

No. It's not obvious from your post but it doesn't seem that you've seen large batch premixed blend roasting in action. Without EXTREMELY large variations in bean size or density (very, very, very rare) a roasted pre-blend is about as homogenous as you can get.

Alan

#10: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

Correct, I have not seen large roasting operations. I see my 20g double every morning. I'd love to tour one some day. None locally.