Decaf Espresso Recommendations

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
slr001

#1: Post by slr001 »

Can I get a recommendation for a good roaster for Decaf Espresso blends? Or a Decaf Dark Roast that might work for espresso?

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

Most roasters don't carry more than one or two decaf coffees, which means that most decaf is roasted with espresso in mind. If you want to try something local, get a bag of Tweed's decaf. If you want to try shipping something in, I have Stumptown's Decaf House Blend at home now and it is very good.

Realistically, most companies on the list of favorite roasters are likely to have a decent decaf offer:

List of our Favorite Roasters

Advertisement
Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

eastsideloco made good suggestions.

To my mind comes Coava Capucas decaf for a sweet, nuanced medium roast espresso. But you said 'dark' so you might prefer Batdorf and Bronson Whirling Dervish decaf.
LMWDP #198

slr001 (original poster)

#4: Post by slr001 (original poster) »

Eastsideloco wrote:Most roasters don't carry more than one or two decaf coffees, which means that most decaf is roasted with espresso in mind. If you want to try something local, get a bag of Tweed's decaf. If you want to try shipping something in, I have Stumptown's Decaf House Blend at home now and it is very good.

Realistically, most companies on the list of favorite roasters are likely to have a decent decaf offer:

List of our Favorite Roasters
I found Tweed online... Do they have a retail location in Dallas? Google isn't turning much up.

cimarronEric
Sponsor

#5: Post by cimarronEric replying to slr001 »

Check http://www.houndstoothcoffee.com/contact/
They just opened in Dallas. Tweed is the roasting arm of the company so I imagine their beans will be available.
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

This old thread might give you some ideas: What is your favorite decaf espresso blend?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

maccompatible

#7: Post by maccompatible »

I just went through a bag of Verve's (decaf) Vancouver Blend. It's decently dark and tastes like chocolate and honey. I loved it.
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

Advertisement
aveekda

#8: Post by aveekda »

I've pretty much exclusively used the decaf blend from Irving Farm for the past 2-3 months. Will be trying Velton's Three Ravens to mix things up.

BuckleyT

#9: Post by BuckleyT »

One of the more flavorful, if not the most flavorful, decaf espresso that I have tried is roasted by What's Brewing? roasters in San Antonio and it is carried by your local Central Market on Lovers Lane in Dallas. They tell me that they get fresh deliveries (of most everything) and fill the bins on Thursdays, so I always went shopping on Friday. This is the best way to try it to see if you like it. It is a bargain to buy 5 lbs. directly from them; it freezes well.
BT

Chert

#10: Post by Chert »

About decaffeinated espresso: my shots from the bag of Intelligentsia Analog decaf that I had recently tasted very much like the Analog caffeinated shot I had at the nearby Intelli account. So if you like Intelli Analog, you would also like the decaffeinated.
LMWDP #198