Cuban Coffee returns to US

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
another_jim
Team HB

#1: Post by another_jim »

But for the time being as Nespresso only.

Cuban coffee, judging by some remarkably similar coffee I've had from Canada, is a mellow island coffee that shines at medium/dark roasts and hign brew ratio preparations (espresso, mocha pot, aerobie, etc). Being low acid, it won't get a big following with third wavers; but for mellow shots, it will make a nice addition. It's a good fit for the Nespresso capsules; so these might be worth a try if you have the system.
Jim Schulman

Travisimo

#2: Post by Travisimo »

Hello Jim, I saw another article mention the same Cuban coffee being released thru Nestle.
The article is titled: Caffeine Diplomancy:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/ar ... ee-US.html

BTW, I had written several months ago while out and about, stopped and had a inspired "Cuban Roast" as a drip coffee and was pleasantly surprised, more comfort food yet rich, and pleasant not harsh at all! This was of course with some non-cuban beans due to the 1962 embargo not having been lifted yet.

I hope Nestle will allow a few other whole bean preps instead of using the Nespresso route only.

Nice change I hope, switch it up abit when you need a break from the berry 3rd wave styles of coffee.
Hope to find a middle ground, not tabacco/ash yet not fruit lemon acidic.

Advertisement
Alan Frew

#3: Post by Alan Frew »

Alas! Alack! Woe is me! and other lamentations. I've been selling Cuban coffee for twenty years, and it has become progressively more difficult to get, as hurricanes, drought and general infrastructure neglect reduce the crop size. But Nestle! I suspect "difficult" may well become "impossible".

The hard part is that this is not a replaceable coffee. The closest matches are top grade specialty Brazils, but the Cuban is slightly smoother, sweeter and fuller bodied, with a gentle hint of acidity and a really distinctive roasted peanut aroma. It makes a terrific espresso blend component, too. Based on the last crop production figures I've seen, the whole crop (600+ tonnes) would be a drop in the bucket for Nestle.

The only saving grace may be that this is not a coffee that does well as a dark roast, nursing it just a little beyond first crack produces the best flavour. It might be too much trouble for some of the large scale roasters.

Alan