Crema taste vs the rest

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
forgetcolor

#1: Post by forgetcolor »

Can those with tasting experience speak to the difference in taste between the fresh crema on top (right after the pull) and the coffee underneath? I'm finding that the crema is often a bit sour tasting, but, if I taste through it, or pour the shot into another cup (integrating the crema a bit) and taste that, that the sour taste goes away.

Is my experience typical?

John P

#2: Post by John P »

A specifically sour crema can be a result of the particular espresso blend, maybe too light a roast, or of how you pulled your shot (underextraction). If it's a bad roast, there's not much you can do. If it's an underextracted shot, then you just need to keep practicing.
John Piquet
Salt Lake City, UT
caffedbolla.com

shawndo

#3: Post by shawndo »

There was a discussion on the taste of crema. The James Hoffman video doesn't appear available anymore, but the thread is still around.

"Crema is Rubbish"
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

endlesscycles

#4: Post by endlesscycles »

Your crema along with everyone else's is actually bitter. Think rind vs. fruit.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

forgetcolor (original poster)

#5: Post by forgetcolor (original poster) »

I'd be the first to admit I'm sometimes having trouble distinguishing bitter from sour in my coffee tasting (unless the bitter/sour taste is toward an extreme).

shawndo

#6: Post by shawndo replying to forgetcolor »

translating taste jargon to actual physical sensations is much harder for me than any of the other aspects to this whole espresso thing. sour vs bitter vs acidity, finding "balance", clarity, anything-"notes", etc.

I think I had glimpses of illumination when I took a wine tasting class several years ago and they had little bottles of pure forms of the typical components found in wine, like "black currant" and things like that.

I wish they had something like that for espresso
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Abnuceals

#7: Post by Abnuceals »

LMWDP 389

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

Check out this article from the Sweet Maria's coffee library on training your senses here
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

JmanEspresso

#9: Post by JmanEspresso »

Abnuceals wrote:Something like that maybe ? http://www.espressoparts.com/LENEZDUCAFE_36
They also make small version with like 5 or 10 of the most common ones.

I have always wanted to purchase this.

Abnuceals

#10: Post by Abnuceals »

JmanEspresso wrote:I have always wanted to purchase this.
Me too, but I don't have this kind of money and I'm not sure I am ready for that.
Anyway, I think it would be more important for me to change my roaster, if I want to improve my shots.
LMWDP 389