CQ Coffee Motoretta Espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Chert

#1: Post by Chert »

I've had some pleasant surprise enjoyment of Italian coffee this year thanks to this forum. That of course is another thread.

This week I am experiencing an espresso blend from another unexpected source, far away from my Pacific Northwest home.

Bedford New Hampshire - if this espresso blend is an indication - is home to quite a capable coffee roaster, CQ Coffee Roasters.

For the 4 shots I have pulled I have used 14 g in the Pavoni basket. After 25 seconds extraction time blonding had not progressed significantly. The aroma is classic espresso blend and initial flavors are deep chocolates and some nut.

When an espresso shot flavor experience changes significantly during the few sips it often offers the greatest interest for me. For example, ethiopian single origins that develop and reveal pearls of fruity flavor. This blend gives way in similar fashion to a nutty caramel experience and the lingering aftertaste is more of the same. Very very pleasant. I don't know what the origins of the beans in it are. My espresso drinking colleague at work tried it as well today and he was quite enthused, but labelled the lingering flavor, "a pear finish." (He won't get more; since my wife enjoyed her latte this morning very well, the rest will go to domestic consumption.)

I did some parts for beans trading with Charles, vze26m98, last week. He went beyond that exchange by sending out this half bag over the weekend. Very kind and thanks! Charles, I hope you enjoy it as well as I am.
LMWDP #198

vze26m98

#2: Post by vze26m98 »

Hi Flint-

The Motoretta is well described on CQ's site:
Description:
The sweet aroma of nougat, chocolate and caramel leads to a cup with smooth taste and understated complexity. Constructed with the Italian sweet, dolce tradition in mind, Espresso Motoretta is a blend of coffees from Daterra Farms in Brazil. We have combined the coffees Sweet Blue and Monte Cristo- a perfect blend of natural pulped/honeyed and dry processed coffees. We have found Brazil coffees typically retain more sugar and fat which creates more crema and sweetness.

Roast info:
Our roast on this coffee brings out a perfect caramelization of the sugars during the roast process. When it comes to espresso a lot of roasters reach a bit too far into the roast for a typical bitterness and acidity. Our medium roast holds onto the sweetness and the aroma making the classic bitter bite of the espresso sweet and pleasing. It is a total sweet chocolate bomb with after thoughts of dusted almonds too.
There's more, so well worth following the link:
http://cqcoffeeroasters.com/collections ... -motoretta

Made me want to pull Motoretta alongside some of Howell's Daterra espressos, but for now, having too good a time with Motoretta by itself.

Best, Charles

Advertisement
Chert (original poster)

#3: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Since my last shot of Motoretta I pulled yesterday I'll just add two more comments.

For the last four shots the higher dose with the larger CMA group was a more rounded expression of the chocolatey nutty profile I enjoyed with the Pavoni. It didn't quite deliver the caramel pop of the Pavoni extractions.

I remember an additional shot from the Pavoni pulled at higher group temp. Very similar with a lime citrus overlay and less caramel. Very enjoyable contrast, which given same grind and dose, I could attribute to the temperature increase.

Thanks again for the opportunity, Charles. I'll try to hold those pleasant taste memories to compare to future Brazil dominated espresso blends.

cheers!
LMWDP #198