Counter Culture La Golondrina (group tasting)

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
gr2020

#1: Post by gr2020 »

The first group tasting coffee (Group tasting (online) - interested?) is the Counter Culture La Golondrina single-origin:

https://counterculturecoffee.com/shop/c ... golondrina

From the site:
The Orgánica cooperative in the region of Cauca, Colombia, has been creating coffee for our La Golondrina offering since 2007. Over the years, they have shown they are one of the strongest organizations we work with-and it's no wonder they have one of the best organic coffees in the country. Look for layered flavors of milk chocolate, cherry, and nut.

Varieties: Castillo and Caturra
Elevation: 1,500-2,000 meters
Harvest Time: November-December 2015
Certifications: Organic

Washed process
Everyone feel free to post here with your thoughts as soon as you try it! For me, it won't be here until Thursday, so it will be Friday or Saturday before I get started with it.

brianmch

#2: Post by brianmch »

This was used by one of the main booths at the Midwest Regional Barista Competition last year in KC. I made notes about it in my log.

It was really, really good when pulled from a UNIC paired with the umbilical cord grinder.

Advertisement
RyanJE

#3: Post by RyanJE replying to brianmch »

WTF does this mean?
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Eastsideloco

#4: Post by Eastsideloco »

You'll have to read the log to find out more. Hopefully, it is written in hardwood, like oak, walnut or cherry, as it would be difficult to read anything written in a soft pulpy wood, like cedar or pine.

(I'm guessing spellchecker had something to do with the "umbilical cord.")

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by RockyIII »

The bag of La Golondrina I ordered arrived today. I will let it rest until this weekend before trying it.

Rocky

gr2020 (original poster)

#6: Post by gr2020 (original poster) »

Just to keep them all in one place, here are prior notes on this coffee from LukeFlynn (What is wow'ing you?):
LukeFlynn wrote:Counter Culture Coffee - La Golondrina (Cauca, Columbia)

I've had this coffee before around this time last year.. But this crop... it is PURE excellence.

I dialed it in on the Sette to the following:

18g in
35g out
34 seconds

It is vibrant and exceptionally fruity straight, adding milk really brings out some milk chocolate. I just made a 10oz (I know... milky!) latte that tastes like a Cadbury milk chocolate bar. I'm not kidding. This could potentially ve the most well rounded single origin espresso I've had, it's rare that I enjoy non-blends so well straight and in milk, especially that much milk.

This is going to be a staple until it's out of season, I like it far more than any of the blends that CC is doing right now.

Schalicto

#7: Post by Schalicto »

Does anyone want to suggest a standardized brew method?

Advertisement
gr2020 (original poster)

#8: Post by gr2020 (original poster) replying to Schalicto »

I'll be brewing as espresso.

Matt44

#9: Post by Matt44 »

Hi folks ...coincidentally ordered the Golondrina this week, had no idea it was the first choice for the group tasting!

I brewed a Chemex pot earlier and was really impressed.

- 37g coffee
- 560g water
- Vario (steel burrs)
- Kone filter

My bag has a 2/13 roast date (super-fast shipping from CC). So these are "no rest-period" results. Still, a bright opening, not overly acidic ...smooth through the finish. My label references a "milk chocolate, cherry, nutty" profile. Personally, I didn't taste the chocolate note, but agree about the nutty and cherry (even a peppery note, in a good way). Great coffee overall!

[creative nickname]

#10: Post by [creative nickname] »

Mine arrived this afternoon. I'll post impressions tomorrow based on a pour-over brew, than move on to espresso after it's had a few more days to rest.
LMWDP #435