Counter Culture Coffee recommendations (besides the usual espresso)

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
appa

#1: Post by appa »

Was wondering if anyone has ordered anything besides the usual espresso options from this site in the last month or so, and have any recommendations?

I havent ordered since the switch..

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mgrayson »

I accidentally ordered some Farmhouse and found this batch much better than the last time - a year ago. I'll order more!

--Matt

Jerry43

#3: Post by Jerry43 »

I picked up a two week old bag of Haru at a local coffee shop last month. Liked it so much that I ordered it from CC last week. The fresh bag didn't disappoint. Lots of sweet citrus with a Brazen. Also got from Klatch coffee during their 20% off sale for Black Friday, their Ethiopian Gedeo Worka and also was able to get a bag of green beans of that. Lot of berry flavor coming through with the Brazen. Also tried that as an espresso shot and it worked well there.

Although I roast most of my own coffee I do like to get some from the big guys occasionally.

Jerry43

#4: Post by Jerry43 »

I should add that I also got a bag of Banko Gotiti from CC and I was not impressed with it. Just didn't develop the flavor no matter what I did with it in the drip Brazen. Ended up using the bag to season my new grinder.

Eastsideloco

#5: Post by Eastsideloco »

I attended a cupping a few months ago that included the Atu Lintang Sumatra:

http://counterculturecoffee.com/store/c ... tu-lintang

The "bell pepper" really came across. Kind of blew my mind. Very unique coffee. Definitely worth a try.

appa (original poster)

#6: Post by appa (original poster) »

Thanks guys, I forgot to thank you all in my original post.

damonbowe

#7: Post by damonbowe »

I've been drinking this as pour over:
Counter Culture Coffee wrote:LA GOLONDRINA - 12 OZ BAG

Story
Coffee exporter Virmax introduced us to Orgánica about five years ago, at which point the coffee-growing association was still establishing itself as a viable organization and was only able to produce small amounts of coffee. Most of Colombia's certified organic coffee from small producers comes out of Cauca and the growers of Orgánica had all belonged to larger, regional cooperatives before joining Orgánica in hopes of finding recognition for their high-quality product and more accountability from the organization. Nelson Melo and Liliana Pabón, both of whom have backgrounds in organizing, galvanized a handful of growers to sell coffee to Virmax for the first time in 2005, and, over the next few years, membership and overall production grew steadily.

In late 2009, the aforementioned leaf rust struck Colombia and reduced Orgánica's output by 75 percent, but, with perseverance and patience by all parties, production has rebounded. In 2010, we crafted our annual Holiday Blend from La Golondrina, and a dollar per pound sold supported organic composting and soil building projects with Orgánica's farmers. We're now seeing those funds put to good use, and we know that the group has a better chance of surviving in Colombia's productivity-focused coffee industry with these resources and our ongoing relationship.

Co-op History
Colombia's tiny, family-run farms have traditionally sold their produce to exporters for mass-market blending and homogenization, causing many of the country's most exquisite coffees to get lost in the mix. Our unique La Golondrina project, however, partners directly with Cauca's most talented, dedicated farmers to source only the best lots of each harvest, creating the most sublime Colombian coffee experience there is. Layers upon layers of sweet caramel, chocolate, and cherry support La Golondrina's classic, citrusy brightness. This is what Colombian coffee is meant to be.

damonbowe

#8: Post by damonbowe »

wait a minute, you're in Cary and you're ordering from CC? What's going on here?

appa (original poster)

#9: Post by appa (original poster) replying to damonbowe »

Damon, they dont really have direct sales from the roasting plant.
(at least last time I checked)

They do distribute to some cafes nearby, but Ive only seen Toscano.

The product in local stores (Fresh Market, Whole Foods, etc), is just as ancient as anywhere
else.

Maybe they sell during their cuppings, events, etc, but I cant go during those times..

JmanEspresso

#10: Post by JmanEspresso »

Been ordering from them pretty frequently as of late. Counter Culture used to be one of my favorite espresso roasters, and still is, but they have become one of two roasters who I almost dont even think about what Im ordering when ordering brewed coffee from them. The other one is Intelligentsia. Reason why I say that is because I cant think of a single time I was let down by one of their offerings.

That said, two coffees they currently have that are, IMO, stellar, are:

Biloya Natural Sundried
&
Finca Mauritania

Both are just.. well, FOR ME, exactly what I want in a coffee.

Also of note is the Valle de Santuario from Peru, Ive had that a bunch of times, and of course, Aidas Grand Reserve, which while I havent had it yet this year, past offerings were worth every penny.