Coffees, Blends, and Roasts that aggravate the stomach.

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
spearfish25

#1: Post by spearfish25 »

I've found a couple threads about this from years ago, and I have to say I'm now a believer. Lately I've been trying to sample roasts and blends from various roasters just to explore the world of espresso more. Some of these roasts are great, others not so much. But very interestingly is that some are particularly hard on the GI tract. For example, I've just swapped over to Verve Street Level. It's great in milk, but my stomach does back-flips within 30 minutes of drinking it. Conversely, Blue Bottle 17ft Espresso has no adverse impacts on my stomach at all.

Do you guys notice any trends with specific roasters, blends, beans, etc that could fall into the stomach friendly or stomach incendiary categories? I'd be curious to hear 1) if you have similar experiences and 2) if they are with similar blends/beans/roasts.

Marshall

#2: Post by Marshall »

Consider whether it is the milk and not the coffee. Many people are lactose intolerant.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Ellejaycafe

#3: Post by Ellejaycafe »

The only thing I've ever noticed is blends that have any robusta kill my stomach and make me feel very uneasy. Even something like 10% upsets my stomach something awful. I think it's the higher caffeine content.
LMWDP #544

spearfish25 (original poster)

#4: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:Consider whether it is the milk and not the coffee. Many people are lactose intolerant.
I've been drinking the same milk for ages though. Definitely not a lactose issue. Something in the beans. But simply caffeine would make it seem that drinking two cups instead of one would make similar issues even with beans that don't bother me.

I'm convinced there's something going on with Verve blends. Great flavor but darn.

thepilgrimsdream

#5: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

I've found under extracted light roasts hurt my stomach a little. I used to have bad acid reflux, but oatmeal for breakfast and a healthier lifestyle have cured this and coffee doesn't bother my stomach on days that I eat right.

LukeFlynn

#6: Post by LukeFlynn »

For me, dark roasts with an ashy (even slight) flavor are nearly vomit inducing.. But that's just me, the darkest I can go is CC's Big Trouble, and it's relatively light for an espresso oriented blend (even though they say it's not, it's rare to see that coffee used for anything other than espresso). I just picked up some of Mountain Air's black mountain, which, from what I hear is at the level I like, not too dark, not too light.. just what I like.

BenKeith

#7: Post by BenKeith »

I've found when I drink it black, it leaves a little burning discomfort in my stomach. I've never cared for (liked) black coffee and use milk and sugar in mine but for the past couple of months I've been putting forth the effort to try and learn how to roast in different ways to bring out the different flavors a coffee is supposed to yield. In doing so, I have also been drinking one 6oz cup every day at the 1.6:1 ratio of black coffee and it causes a discomfort in my stomach. My regular cup is 19 grams of fairly fine ground coffee in 11 ounces of water brewed through an AeroPress with an ounce of milk and two level teaspoons of sugar, so it's not the 1.6 ratio that causes it.

dominico
Team HB

#8: Post by dominico »

+1 on the extremely light roasts and acid reflux, I get this on occasion as well. I can drink darker shots all day long but lighter ones will cause my stomach to start turning after the 3rd or 4th shot. I've taken to "taste and spit" for dialing in lighter roasts.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

delkat

#9: Post by delkat »

I've definitely noticed this with my stomach. I haven't been able to nail down the cause but some coffees have my stomach in knots all day after a double in the morning; milk drink or straight shot, it doesn't matter.

spearfish25 (original poster)

#10: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

Verve Sermon and Street Level tasted great but tore me up. I went back to Blue Bottle 17ft Ceiling and no more issues. Klatch Cerro las Ranas was also excellent and no problems on the guts.