Coffee Gone Sour: Great San Francisco Magazine Article - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
another_jim
Team HB

#31: Post by another_jim »

endlesscycles wrote:quinine / quinic acid? like tonic?
I forget that one. I miss Schweppes bitter lemon :cry:
Jim Schulman

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#32: Post by TomC (original poster) »

endlesscycles wrote:quinine / quinic acid? like tonic?

I get what you're describing as far as a taste evaluation, but if I detected that in a coffee, I'd personally just consider it a defect in the coffee itself, not a flaw in the roasting process. It would be the antithesis of a sweet, bright cup of coffee.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

endlesscycles

#33: Post by endlesscycles »

quinic acid comes from hydrolysis of chlorogenic acid and is associated with a slightly sour, clean finish. it's in every coffee.

thinking how to mimic the light roast described (I've had several bags from one sf roaster), possibly 6-7 min to yellow, 2-3 to crack and dump <1min?
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#34: Post by TomC (original poster) »

It's a product of every roasted coffee, I know. I'm saying if I detect it over the sweetness, or if it overly masks the sweetness, then it becomes a problem for me.

And the short, fast finish you describe, I imagine it would work well only for a certain subset of coffees. Ideally, ones that stand up enough with some narrower, specific positive flavor component clear enough that it still accentuates the coffee in a good way, even though it was finished extremely quickly and the volatile aromatic compounds haven't been fully developed.

One that contrasts this was a train wreck of a coffee that I accidentally chose to serve here at a meet up of forum folks about 2 years ago, it was an ultra-light roast recommended by and from Ritual, some kind of Colombian. It was disgusting, underdeveloped and damn near looked like a bag of quakers, they were so light. Ran thru the grinder the immediate area smelled like really bad tomato soup. The coffee tasted like sour tomato soup. It was the last time I took a barista's recommendation from Ritual, and bad enough that I took the remaining 90% of the bag back in and asked for a replacement because it was so bad I was certain it was defective. They were frustrated, but slightly accommodating and sent me home with a different roast of the same coffee. It too brewed up very sour, just lacking the severity of odd tomato. It went in the trash and that was the last roast I've ever bought from Ritual. I don't plan on going thru that again. Their ever changing "sweet tooth espresso" is an insult of the word sweet. But I digress.

Long story short, I don't think very light roasted, fast finishing profiles accentuate many coffees. And I think the people behind the roasters at places like Ritual and Four Barrel do.

If the hipsters hanging out to blog and listen to the vinyl there, found another place that was newer or more fashionable, I doubt Four Barrel would be able to sell much coffee for very long. Turn off the wi-fi and Ritual would turn into a ghost town.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

espressotime

#35: Post by espressotime »

Is there anybody these days who likes their coffee to taste like ...uh coffee?
I still don't understand this quest for the blueberry or lemon taste in what is a berry of its own being coffee.
Coffee has a very distictiv taste of its own which is coffee.
If it's too bright it tastes unpleasantly sour and if it's too dark it tastes like an ashtray to me.
In between it tastes like coffee as it should.
Any roast that hasn' t gone a full 5 seconds into 2e crack is undrinkable to me.
Must have some Italian blood in me somewhere.I'll ask me mom.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by yakster »

I really enjoy coffee that tastes like coffee, like a nice buttery, clean coffee from Bolivia, but I drop it before second crack where I like most of my coffee. That being said, I also really enjoy sweetness, citrus, florals in other coffees too. I get bored with the same coffee day after day so I like to mix it up and have a couple different origins roasted up at any one time.

Right now I'm enjoying a nice coffee from Colombia roasted from The Excellent Cup that tastes very much like coffee with a bit of sweetness..
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dogjamboree

#37: Post by dogjamboree »

Just finished reading this thread all at once and I had a big smile on my face by the end. Couldn't help but think of the song "Still rock and roll to me," by Billy Joel, or maybe "Losing my edge," by LCD Soundsystem...for the "hipsters" among us :)

Taste, as in what we like, is a funny thing, and is as much a product of our social environment / group affiliations / childhood experiences as it is our brain's interpretation of what's actually going into our mouth. To abandon or change what we like involves changing who we are, to some extent. This is especially true for connoisseurs of wine or coffee, whose identities are wrapped up in their unique sense of what's good.

There's a parallel in sociolinguistics involving regional / social accents. What various studies over the years have found is that the way we speak is as wrapped up in social identity as it is in where we were born and who we grew up listening to. Sometimes consciously, but largely unconsciously, we emulate the speech of those we identify most closely with.

My argument is that there are very few us who are able to completely divorce ourselves from the baggage of what we like, how we think things should taste, and it what it says about us as people. Even those among us who are professional cuppers, tasters, etc, are still doing so within the context of an established framework of taste...otherwise the idea of establishing a cupping score wouldn't be possible.

All that being said, we're social creatures, and our sensory experiences on this planet wouldn't be nearly as rich without a context in which to share and discuss them. So I guess the point of this post was to briefly, theoretically, lift my head from the heavy burden of being a "serious" coffee drinker, laugh at myself and others, and dive right back into it.

BTW, any rebuttal or defense of my accusations will be seen as proof of my point :wink:

frank

another_jim
Team HB

#38: Post by another_jim »

dogjamboree wrote: Even those among us who are professional cuppers, tasters, etc, are still doing so within the context of an established framework of taste...otherwise the idea of establishing a cupping score wouldn't be possible.
I'd been a semi-pro cupper for 10 years when I attended a cupping class, and couldn't even tell Brazils from Kenyas for the first few days. The roasts they used were different enough from mine that all I tasted at first was the roast, not the coffee.

In a sense, the degree of roast, the roast profile, and the prep method act like a language; whereas the specific coffees are like the meaning of the sentences spoken. If you change methods, it's like hearing a foreign language, and you don't taste the coffees, just the peculiarities of the new method.

But this goes to your wider point. The regional speech differences are accidents, while the essence is meaning. Once you are used to a region's usage, it disappears like glass, and only the meaning remains.

This is true of roasting styles as well. But unlike language, at which we all innately excel, so that the communicative power of every language and dialect is about the same; coffee is not something at which we innately excel. Some roasting and prep methods are more transparent than others; and in these, it is easier to taste the individuality of each coffee.

So while I might be an old fogey complaining about those weird foreign roasting methods; I actually think I am pointing out that there are some methods that simply do not communicate the nature of the coffee.
Jim Schulman

another_jim
Team HB

#39: Post by another_jim »

I'm drinking a brew of 12 day old coffee that I found too green and that migrated to the back of my shelf. It's nice now, lots of slightly brown sugar, a little non descript freshness -- mint? unripe fruit? -- and a tweak of acidity. A lot like like those sugar free chewing gums that come in neon packaging and with skate boarding endorsers; but not much like the Gedeo Worka of memory that the package promised.
Jim Schulman

DavidMLewis

#40: Post by DavidMLewis »

If you are looking for the Gedeo Worka of memory, at least my memory, you might try Ceremony Coffee's Worka. They had some in at Barista this morning, and it sure smelled like the natural Worka of old.

Best,
David