Coffea Eugenoides

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
coffeemmichael

#1: Post by coffeemmichael »

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/pro ... -selection

So I just brewed mine, figure I have a responsibility to the community to report on this coffee that is brand new to the consumer market.

On preparation:
Constant pour of water from my Wilfa, paused for bloom. 30.5g in, 500ml h20 v60 prep with agitation after bloom, midway through, and at pump shut-off.

The eugenioides yielded 17.5%-- however, I don't think that the current scale is relevant as it only pertains to arabica.

This was the SWEETEST coffee I've ever tasted. At first sip it tasted vaguely of a light white tea, then gave way for immense sweetness, as if I'd put a lot of sugar in the brew. Cleanest finish i've ever had in a cup, almost nothing lingers in your mouth.

TL;DR: it is caffeinated sugar water that comes from a plant.

EDIT: Noted that my prep method typically can hit 20% ext. Failed to mention that i'm using my forte not my lido on this prep; Haven't used this prep with forte until this brew.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

Cloying, or does the sweetness stop just short of there? Thanks for the mini-review. Sounds unique.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Thanks for the report. Sounds like Eugenoides (or at least this one) may be great blender, but not so much a solo act
Jim Schulman

coffeemmichael (original poster)

#4: Post by coffeemmichael (original poster) »

jbviau wrote:Cloying, or does the sweetness stop just short of there? Thanks for the mini-review. Sounds unique.
It's pleasant, doesn't taste oversaturated or too intense. Brewed my second batch today, got it up to 18.23% and the sweetness was rounded out with a bit more background noise of a tea-like flavor.

I'm going to order some more of this and attempt to pull some shots.

Travisimo

#5: Post by Travisimo »

Hey guys,
I had ordered this esoteric Antiquarian Colombian collection from Intelligentsia Coffee and have done only as a espresso shot and it was interesting yet odd and perplexing in impressions.

The Eugenioides sample, tasted more like a mild sweet tea more than a experience of 3rd wave or traditional espresso coffee!
I have not tried it as a pour over, only espresso.

It was interesting to try yet I still prefer the dynamic characters of good ol Arabica such as the
a) heirloom of Ethiopian
or
b) comfort style with Guatemalan single origin beans.

QA: How did you like the Geisha and the Sudan Rume part of the Special Edition Antiquarian collection?

The Geishas didn't fare as well not as intensely honey pineapple as I was anticipating for.
Note: The best Geisha I have ever tasted was Don Pachi (Klatch) and Cerro Azul Geisha AAA, from (Victrola)

Bret

#6: Post by Bret »

I just received my 200g of Inmaculada Colombia Coffea Eugenioides Special Selection: WOW.

I did a 21g dose and pulled it for 34g (judging by eyeing the flow for a stopping point). It is thinner, and not a lot of crema. It was roasted on the 21st, so 7 days on it. Beans are small and dense.

The flavor in a latte is like hot chocolate. The first time I ever got a strong chocolate taste from coffee. I may get another bag or two: pricey, but a luxury thing to offer to guests.

#7: Post by coffeemmichael (original poster) »

Travisimo wrote:QA: How did you like the Geisha and the Sudan Rume part of the Special Edition Antiquarian collection?
The geisha was underwhelming to me.

The sudan rume was just OK. I've had it from four farms now in the last year, this was probably my least favorite of the five roasts I had.
Think Mr. Merizalde's Las Nubes suan rumes are better.

#8: Post by coffeemmichael (original poster) »

Bret wrote:I just received my 200g of Inmaculada Colombia Coffea Eugenioides Special Selection: WOW.

I did a 21g dose and pulled it for 34g (judging by eyeing the flow for a stopping point). It is thinner, and not a lot of crema. It was roasted on the 21st, so 7 days on it. Beans are small and dense.

The flavor in a latte is like hot chocolate. The first time I ever got a strong chocolate taste from coffee. I may get another bag or two: pricey, but a luxury thing to offer to guests.

Gonna try this in a few days. My current bag is only five days off roast right now.

What was the time on your shot?

Bret

#9: Post by Bret »

coffeemmichael wrote:Gonna try this in a few days. My current bag is only five days off roast right now.

What was the time on your shot?
I've only pulled it twice (it is a small bag!).

Both times I did a 25sec pre infusion (with drops just beginning to form at the bottom of the basket), and then total times (incl. pre-infusion) of 58 & 62 sec, for 32 & 34 grams out, respectively. My brew temp is 197.

I can't claim to have dialed it in: first two shots ever with this one, so I started with my default settings. Since the first one was so delicious in a latte (even though it was a fairly thin pull with almost no crema, I stuck with it for the second shot. 200g is not a lot to 'play' with, and the stuff is pricey on top of that.

My third shot will be a bit later today: I read that that this coffee has much less caffeine, so I'll save it for a later afternoon cup. I might try it at 202 deg. I may do a little bit of experimentation, since I ordered another 200g while I was drinking the first cup.

#10: Post by coffeemmichael (original poster) »

If you missed this coffee last winter, Intelli has it back in again.

The new twist: they're offering a natural version of it alongside the washed

"It is the most action-packed and downright fascinating offering we've had on the menu this year, a step into the Twilight Zone that you will not soon forget"-- Geoff Watts on the natural version http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/pro ... -selection