CCC Hologram 8 days post roast dive.

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
F1

#1: Post by F1 »

I have recently noticed that this coffee basically dies 8 days after roast. It didn't used to be like this. I usually open the bag, use it and store it in 8oz ball jars on the 5th day after roast. I noticed on the 7th day that it was starting to blond too fast and the body just wasn't there. Today(8th day) I have tried increasing the dose, lowering and increasing the temperature, but nothing really helps. This is the second time in a row that this has happened with the Hologram blend. I have never seen a coffee take such a dive in only 8 days.

Mrboots2u

#2: Post by Mrboots2u »

Have you tried grinding finer -: using the same brew recipe as you had prior to day 8 .

F1 (original poster)

#3: Post by F1 (original poster) replying to Mrboots2u »

I changed the recipe on the 8th day because the previous recipe started to result in early blonding and weak body on the 7th day. So it doesn't make any sense to go back to that recipe until I get a new bag of Hologram.

Mrboots2u

#4: Post by Mrboots2u replying to F1 »

Ok - but by changing the grind ( finer ) and keeping the recipe the same - you are changing the a variable in the recipe and potentially the extraction yield and therefore the taste ( hopefully sweeter and more body ) ...

F1 (original poster)

#5: Post by F1 (original poster) replying to Mrboots2u »

I am out of Hologram beans now so I will have to wait till next week and then another few days to get to day #8 again and try grinding finer. The problem is that if I grind finer then I also need lower the dose when it is already blonding too fast.

DanSF

#6: Post by DanSF »

I'm just finishing a bag of Hologram that was roasted Jan 5 and not noticing any fall off in terms of pull or taste, but I had this bag in the freezer for a couple days so not a great test and it won't make it until tomorrow...

Mrboots2u

#7: Post by Mrboots2u »

F1 wrote:I am out of Hologram beans now so I will have to wait till next week and then another few days to get to day #8 again and try grinding finer. The problem is that if I grind finer then I also need lower the dose when it is already blonding too fast.
Try keeping the dose the same and just grind a bit finer
Admitedly i don't prescribe to " blonding " ( I am a scales man ) but please just give my suggestion a go ..

F1 (original poster)

#8: Post by F1 (original poster) »

DanSF wrote:I'm just finishing a bag of Hologram that was roasted Jan 5 and not noticing any fall off in terms of pull or taste, but I had this bag in the freezer for a couple days so not a great test and it won't make it until tomorrow...

What parameters are you using?

DanSF

#9: Post by DanSF »

15g in and 26-30g out in 30-35 sec with 3 sec pre infusion on my Vivaldi II. On my K30 I was grinding at about a 4 and tightened it up to a 3.5 as the days went by; for comparison the finest I'll go is ~1.5 for a super light Ritual roasters bean. Does this answer your question about parameters?

SonVolt

#10: Post by SonVolt »

Are you basing this on 1 bag of Hologram beans? I don't think I've ever had a bag of Hologram with the same blend of beans twice. Like most of CC's espresso blends they change week to week.