Cat & Cloud Coffee - New roaster that makes AMAZING coffee!!!

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
ricky analog

#1: Post by ricky analog »

Hey guys, just wanted to drop in and let people know that the guys that pretty much made Verve what it is today have started their own roasting operation/cafe out of the Santa Cruz, CA area. It's called Cat & Cloud Coffee and it is roasted by none other than Chris Baca and Jared Truby, both are nationally decorated barista champs and have been roasting amazing coffee for over 10 years. My business partner and I are huge espresso enthusiasts and usually drink counter culture or verve (and write it off as a business expense of course!). But we got our hands on some of Cat & Cloud's flagship bean, The Answer, and are nothing short of amazed. This will definitely be our bean of choice for a while.

I encourage people to check out Cat & Cloud, whether if it's by stopping in their new cafe once it opens (if you live in the Santa Cruz area), or if it's checking out their extremely informative podcast that they run, or by having some beans mailed to your house. Their website is http://www.catandcloud.com.

We actually got our beans from a vendor on Amazon that sends in small batches, so we were able to be confident of getting a pretty fresh roast date. That way we got free 2-day shipping for free and had our beans pronto! I just checked, and they are out of stock right now on The Answer (https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Cloud-Coffee ... deal0c6-20) but I'm sure they will have more in stock soon. They also have 2 other roasts though that ARE in stock.

-Pedro Moreno - https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Cloud-Coffee ... B01GJ1L6TW

-Las Sonajas - https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Coffee-Son ... B01HC6J06E

Hope this helps some people. These are hands down some of the best beans I've tasted in a LONG time!

Nik

#2: Post by Nik »

I was in the process of placing an order and noticed that the package size was 10 oz. A pound is continuing the process of shrinking from 16 to 14, 13, 12 and now 10 oz. A couple roasters are now selling their labeled espresso in 8 oz sizes. I didn't even have to make a decision. My gut reaction took over and cancelled the order. I recognize that their price is $13.50. Verve Street Level is still 12 oz with free shipping on a $25 order and I don't have to reorder as often. Street Level is excellent. I wish Cat & Cloud the best.

LukeFlynn

#3: Post by LukeFlynn »

To my knowledge, they've been around for a year or two.. I know they are just now moving into their own space though.

I've heard their coffee is great, but I agree on the sizing.. 12oz is already pushing it.

chrisbodnarphoto

#4: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

I've been meaning to try out their coffees ever since I came across their amazing crowdfunding page.

I'm defense of coffee roasters and green buyers, I imagine (and I could be wrong) that sizes of bags are decreasing because the cost of green beans may be increasing? Or the currency exchange has changed? This is common policy in Canada - same prices but slightly shrinking packaging to compensate for rising material costs.

Either way I look forward to supporting people who work hard and are after fair treatment for all involved. I figure if I can pay $10k+ for equipment and for all the other frivolous activities in my life, I don't mind paying an extra couple dollars to support small business. That's also coming from someone who runs their own small business, and definitely isn't a knock to folks who think it might be too pricey (it's definitely not cheap!). :)

Now - I hope they'll ship to Canada!

shawndo

#5: Post by shawndo »

Nice! I just started listening to their podcast and they are a couple characters that grow on you. I'm catching up on all the old episodes so I'm not at the part where they started roasting their own yet.

I just ordered a kilo from their online shop direct. Maybe it will be good enough to justify the pricing. Why by 10oz when you can buy a kilo for more money?! :/
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

I've enjoyed their coffee and their podcasts and I've heard that they're doing a Monday pop-up at a local bakery while they work on opening their shop.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

michael

#7: Post by michael »

I love the verve free shipping

If you're not single dosing, you put that 10oz into a large conical, dial in a shot or two, drink one or two coffees and then it's practically gone :(

LukeFlynn

#8: Post by LukeFlynn »

I'm hoping that once they start roasting from their own brick and mortar we will see 12oz bags. To my knowledge, they usually only offer one really great coffee at a time, not multiple like the big roasters (Counter Culture, Stumptown, etc.) If they develop a following and start selling more, perhaps they can buy green coffee more for less.. if that's the case, I hope the savings make their way to the customer.

shawndo

#9: Post by shawndo »

From what I gather from the podcast, they are also limited by the fact that they are borrowing time on the roaster at Castle Coffee roasters

It looks like they operate by announcing an roast date 2 weeks ahead of time and take preorders. Then when the date comes, they just roast enough to fill the orders. The 12th just passed and the next one is the 27th.
You can even get subscriptions that will conform to their schedule as opposed to yours. I kind of like that.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Mochamaker

#10: Post by Mochamaker »

I enjoyed their subscription for a few months and never had a bad coffee. When I sent them the note to have them suspend my subscription, they sent a hand written note back thanking me for my purchases. Seem like stand up guys with a great future. I suggested they add a short write up about the coffee and farm like Tonx and maybe add brewing suggestions. They said that once they get their own place, they want to do a few things like that, but mainly provide great coffee. I look forward to when I rotate back around to getting coffee from them again. I would almost go to Santa Cruz just to check them out.