Canadian Roasters: Canucks...What are you drinking? - Page 7

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
mfogliet

#61: Post by mfogliet »

Reunion Island has not been mentioned yet. I was fortunate to try their CBC competition espresso at a local shop.
http://shop.reunionislandcoffee.com/col ... hips-roast
They have three espresso blends and free shipping over $59. Can anyone suggest which of the blends to try first?

canuckcoffeeguy (original poster)

#62: Post by canuckcoffeeguy (original poster) replying to mfogliet »

Thanks for the tip. This place looks promising. I hadn't heard of the before, but they've been roasting for a while -- and they're down the highway in Oakville. I'm interested in blend recommendations, too. If anyone has any suggestions.

jdbooth

#63: Post by jdbooth »

dtyson wrote:...along with any other fees, taxes, duties, exchange rates, foreign currency fees/percentages... and the PITA of dealing with UPS as an added bonus.

I think I'll just wait til I'm across the line next time and hunt some down off the shelf somewhere. Looking forward to trying some nonetheless.
One thing you might consider is using one of the many private shipping depots just across the border, especially if you already have some reason to be in the US. I recently did this with my Red Bird order, which allowed me to take advantage of their free shipping. Note that there is no duty on coffee, so there is no downside to declaring the full value when you are coming back into Canada (print your receipt and carry it with you).

No UPS B.S. with this method :mrgreen:

PS - I highly recommend the Red Bird 'Northern Italian' Espresso roast as well as the Blue Jaguar Espresso roast. Both are stellar.

Nickriders

#64: Post by Nickriders »

Anyone ever tried Kittel
http://www.kittelcoffee.com/coffees/
They are located in montreal and they ship anywhere in Canada

#65: Post by canuckcoffeeguy (original poster) »

A new place to try in downtown Toronto: M Square. Has anyone been yet?

http://sprudge.com/m-square-coffee-co-toronto.html

Spitz.me

#66: Post by Spitz.me »

Yes. I've tried it. They have two Spirit machines. I couldn't believe my eyes. They didn't do a very good job with the shot. I'd normally give that a pass since it was a one time affair. But some other things didn't make me need to be back for more.

The talk was very shallow when it came to coffee and the retail bags were a month old. I won't be going back. It's more Starbucks than third wave in the delivery.
LMWDP #670

psavoie

#67: Post by psavoie »

Nickriders wrote:Anyone ever tried Kittel
http://www.kittelcoffee.com/coffees/
They are located in montreal and they ship anywhere in Canada
I st time this week that I drink coffee from Kittel, been on my list to try for a while. Bought the Brazilian Cachoeira da Grama, pretty good. I bought my bag from Alexis le trotteur on St-jacques.

My regulars are St-Henri (God Shot and Holy Cow) Pilot (Brazilian Cachoeira da Grama) Detour (Punch Buggy)

#68: Post by canuckcoffeeguy (original poster) »

mixedup wrote:I ordered from Square Mile on Sunday evening (our time)....normally this would roast/ship Monday and would arrive by Friday, but I just got the shipping notice. Not the same experience this time around (may have roasted/shipped Wednesday?).
Did your Square Mile order show up in reasonable time? And how was it? I still haven't tried ordering from afar. The most distant roaster I've shipped from is Redbird in Montana. The beans were great. UPS shipping was not.

mixedup

#69: Post by mixedup replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

Sorry -- just saw this now.

Yeah, it showed up in reasonable time. I definitely plan on ordering again. In my experience, if ordered Sunday it will usually show up before the end of the week, which is incredibly fast. I'm really loving Sweetshop -- I recall having it a year or so back and don't remember liking it as much as I do now.

#70: Post by canuckcoffeeguy (original poster) »

What's the cutoff time to order on Sundays from Square Mile? The Canadian dollar is so low right now. Kind of makes foreign purchases less enticing.