Can roasted coffee be damaged by heat?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
TruBrew

#1: Post by TruBrew »

So I have read a few references to coffee beans potentially being damaged by heat in transit, but a search didn't turn up any full discussions on the topic.

I know wine can be damaged by heat, so I am curious to learn if any tests have been performed on coffee to determine the potential damage cause by exposure to high temperatures. I buy my coffee from a local micro-roaster but would like the option to branch out, if I can reliably get undamaged beans to me.

SonVolt

#2: Post by SonVolt »

I'm curious about this as well. By the time I got home from work on Friday to get my bag of CC out of my mailbox the bag of beans was noticably warm to the touch. I haven't noticed any taste or crema problems though.

brianl

#3: Post by brianl »

Ill just go out on a limb and say that drastic temperature changes are probably what you want to avoid. If its in a sealed coffee bag, the humidity shouldn't have that much of an effect. Especially if this is 2 or 3 days only. I am very cheap and my apartment is usually pretty hot as I hate putting the AC on. I don't note many issues. Now when I used the Vario, that hated the humidity but had nothing to do with the coffee.

wsurfn

#4: Post by wsurfn »

I may have had this happen recently for the first time. I contacted the roaster, and they suspected it might have happened, and they replaced my coffee (without asking). They say it is very rare.

OldNuc

#5: Post by OldNuc »

Increasing storage temperature increases the rate of oxidation. That means stale sooner.