Caffe Fresco - Ambrosia Espresso Blend

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
jkruer01

#1: Post by jkruer01 »

Up until this point, I have been buying beans from a local coffee roaster. The beans were very fresh, usually purchased within 24-48 hours of roasting. When prepared by the roaster on their expensive equipment the espresso tasted GREAT! However, when I made it at home I could only make it taste good. The limits of my cheap espresso equipment always left a bitter or sour taste no matter how much I played around with it.

Earlier this week I placed an order with Caffe Fresco. I purchased one pound of the Ambrosia and one pound of the Brazil Deterra Reserve. All of the Brazil and half of the Ambrosia went into the freezer.

Today I pulled my first shot of the Ambrosia. My grinder wasn't dialed in for the new beans and the shot pulled in 48 seconds, so it definitely wasn't perfect. I sampled the espresso straight out of the shot glass. I was expecting a very sour shot. Instead, I tasted the best shot that I have ever been able to pull on my equipment. There was definitely some sourness in the shot but nothing like what I had been experiencing.

It tasted good enough that I kept taking another sip and then another. I ended up drinking the entire shot straight instead of making my normal Macchiato with sugar and caramel syrup added.

I adjusted my grinder and pulled another shot. This one came out in 33 seconds and had lots of Crema. I took a taste and it was PURE BLISS! One of the best shots I have EVER had in my life and by far the BEST SHOT EVER that I have been able to produce on my equipment at home. OH MY GOSH!!! I practically downed it like it was a shot of Woodford Reserve.

The texture, the flavor, the aroma....DELICIOUS!

I write this to tell all of the newbies to espresso (like myself) that even if you are buying fresh roasted beans, if you have tried adjusting your grind, your temperature, and everything else you can think of, if you are still struggling with bitterness or sourness, then you need to buy a bag of Caffe Fresco's Ambrosia espresso blend.

I think some beans are just a lot more forgiving of cheaper equipment and Caffe Fresco's Ambrosia blend is one of them.

Good Luck!