Bodka Ethiopian Konga (Natural Yrgecheffe)

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Eastsideloco

#1: Post by Eastsideloco »

Full disclosure: I am biased toward this coffee for two reasons: 1.) I won a 10-ounce bag of this coffee in a Bodka giveaway [thank you, david]; and, 2.) I'm a sucker for natural-processed Ethiopian coffees.

Initial impressions: This is an excellent example of a natural processed coffee from the Yrgecheffe region of Ethiopia. The dry aroma is predictably fruity, but very sweet and clean, without any evidence of over-fermentation. As a brewed coffee, it has a remarkable acidity for a natural-processed coffee, with lemon zest riding on top of the berry and stone fruit flavors. It has ample body and a lingering spicy aftertaste.

While I am especially looking forward to pulling some shots with this coffee, that won't be an option this week. Until SXSW passes, we're hunkered down in San Antonio, where our coffee options are limited to pourovers prepared using a Kalita Wave. Brewing notes: 310 g Gerber Pure water, 21 g Bodka Ethiopia Konga coffee.

Advertisement
caldwa

#2: Post by caldwa »

Sounds awesome! This year (or 2014, I suppose I should say given when the crop was harvested likely?) must be a good year for Konga...the PT's Konga I had last week was one of the best Ethiopia coffees I've ever had.

kaldi61

#3: Post by kaldi61 »

As another wining recipient of a lovely bag o' Konga, I have to echo David's sentiments.

Thank you Bodka (other David). This is a wonderful coffee. I am brewing it Clever, and it is very bright right out of the starting gate. For me it's just the right amount of acidity. You certainly know you are drinking an Ethiopian. I think David's tasting notes are spot-on. A well roasted tasty bean. Excellent work Bodka. :D
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

johnny4lsu

#4: Post by johnny4lsu »

David is the man...Super generous and solid at his art...Glad to have him in this community.

Eastsideloco (original poster)

#5: Post by Eastsideloco (original poster) »

Espresso tasting update: As I suspected, this is very tasty SO espresso. As espresso, it has a sweet tropical fruit acidity on the front end, which gives way to cinnamon and molasses with a velvety mouthfeel. The dark stone-fruit bomb didn't hit me until the back of the shot. [Shot parameters: 17-gram dose pulled on a temperature-stabilized Cremina (one with a teflon gasket between the boiler and the group).]