Bodka Coffee - Kenya Muiri

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
gimpy

#1: Post by gimpy »

Thx, Bodka, for your generosity. I received my Kenya gift on Thursday, the 24th. I must say, the bag that you put the coffee in is very impressive in its build. The package had a roast date of the 21st written on it, so it is still very fresh this morning, Saturday.

When I got home from work with it Thursday evening, I did fix me a shot of espresso with it, just to try it out. I'm not sure what level of roast it is, but it looks to be on the lighter side (which is to my liking). Not dark at all. :D . I'm a home roaster and I always taste the been after roasting. Yours had a very nice flavor to it. The shot of espresso was not bad. One of my better shots to date. Let me expound here and say that I am just getting started/experimenting with espresso. In fact, I am in the process of experimenting with a new grinder. Still dialing it in.

Friday morning, I made my normal two cups of coffee for the day. I use the clever coffee dripper and the aero press as my methods. I must say that the coffee was quite good. I'm normally not a big fan of Kenyan coffee. I have always thought of it as being too bright or acidic, maybe? This was not. I thought the cup was very smooth in my mouth and I could taste, to me, a strong hint of a dark chocolate (one of my favorites:-)).

This morning I did a French press. Another nice cup with a subtle hint of the lemon that you spoke of in your description.

I enjoyed all three cups of your Kenya that I have had so far. I really think you nailed the roast on this one.

Again thx, for your kindness.
Frank

...split from Bodka Coffee Giveaway-Kenya Muiri in Marketplace by moderator...

grog

#2: Post by grog »

So far I've tried this a few ways: in the Chemex, which brought out a pronounced bergamot / Earl Grey tea component which I quite liked. Then in the Clever, where it came across as much more juicy/sweet/fruit-forward. For the heck of it I tried it in my Brunella this morning, and dug the caramel and walnut notes that emerged.

A very versatile coffee and as usual, David nailed the roast level. It's a bit lighter than other coffees I've had from Bodka and for me anyway it works well across a variety of brew methods.
LMWDP #514

beer&mathematics

#3: Post by beer&mathematics replying to grog »

Danng sounds delish--also great that David has many versatile roasting profiles so the various taste preferences among us :)
LMWDP #431