Blue Bottle At-Home Subscription - Review

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
jcw5002

#1: Post by jcw5002 »

Hey All,

I'm about 5 shipments into the Blue Bottle subscription plan and I just wanted to share my results. I've been extremely happy so far, and I think this is the best (and cheapest) ways to get fresh coffee delivered to your door. Note: I have absolutely no affiliation with Blue Bottle, just a super happy customer.

+ I get 2 bags per week for $28* shipped. So that's $14 for a 12oz zip-lock bag, shipped. Cheap! (*Apparently it's $31 now.)
+ The coffee ships from Oakland, CA the day it's roasted and arrives in Raleigh, NC usually in 2 days. So roasted Monday AM and in my mailbox by Wenesday afternoon. It is shipped via USPS Priority 2-day.
+ The best part: so far I have received 5 different coffees, in just 5 shipments!

17ft Ceiling
Hayes Valley Espresso
Costa Rica Tarrazú Tierra Fértil (A single origin espresso)
Retrofit Espresso (their NY blend)
Opascope Espresso

I'm sure they'll start rotating them, but I was not expecting such a great variety of coffees. They never promised this much variety.

+ Obviously, the coffee is delicious and roasted to perfection. It's very easy to dial-in.
+ Both bags are of the same coffee. This is great for limiting waste because I usually only need to dial in once per week. (Then minor adjustments throughout the week.)
+ The website is the best I've seen for managing coffee subscriptions. It's very impressive.
+ Each shipment comes with a nice photo card that provides details about the coffee and the brewing recipe.

TL;DR - I am a VERY happy customer so far and look forward to my shipment each week. If you haven't tried this out yet, you should.

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

So youre paying 31$ a week with shipping? I don't see where your 28 dollar number comes from.

Marshall

#3: Post by Marshall »

This should be especially welcome news to former Tonx subscribers.
Marshall
Los Angeles

jcw5002 (original poster)

#4: Post by jcw5002 (original poster) »

brianl wrote:So youre paying 31$ a week with shipping? I don't see where your 28 dollar number comes from.
Ah, you're right! It looks like they raised the price since I subscribed a month or two ago and now it's $31 shipped. I'll update my original post. FWIW, I am still being billed $28, even on the week where they sent me "$22/bag" SO Espresso. :D

brianl

#5: Post by brianl replying to jcw5002 »

They have me grandfathered in at 19/bag shipped for the 12oz single origins subscription. even though I haven't used it in years. I would have definitely started again if it was 14-16/bag :).

jcw5002 (original poster)

#6: Post by jcw5002 (original poster) »

Yeah, it seems you don't really benefit financially until you are getting 2 bags at a time. And then it's only useful if you drink it fast enough before it goes bad. Or freeze it, I guess.

Jofari

#7: Post by Jofari »

Marshall wrote:This should be especially welcome news to former Tonx subscribers.
Indeed. I was very happy with my Tonx subscription back when I had it, so I'm glad to see that Blue Bottle is keeping up the good work.

Marshall

#8: Post by Marshall »

jcw5002 wrote:Yeah, it seems you don't really benefit financially until you are getting 2 bags at a time. And then it's only useful if you drink it fast enough before it goes bad. Or freeze it, I guess.
Open one and freeze the other works very well.
Marshall
Los Angeles

brianl

#9: Post by brianl »

And if you don't have a quality freezer?

Marshall

#10: Post by Marshall replying to brianl »

You don't need a deep freezer for one week.
Marshall
Los Angeles