Black Cat Organic "sludgy" at bottom of cup

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Pryzer

#1: Post by Pryzer »

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon, or knows what has caused it. Pulling black cat organic to make cappas for my wife and I and the bottom of the cup is turning thick and sludgy. Using a La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi and grinding on a SJ. Dosing 17 grams give or take and brewing at 93 degrees celsius. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

bean2friends

#2: Post by bean2friends »

That's a healthy dose. Are you using a triple basket in a bottomless portafilter?

Pryzer (original poster)

#3: Post by Pryzer (original poster) »

No. Double basket. I had a straight double this afternoon, no sludge. Must be interacting with the micro foam somehow. Yes, that is a big dose for my setup. I find it hard to dose down to 14-16 as it just appears to be so little in the basket. At 17 I at can more or less level with the top of the basket before tamping.

bean2friends

#4: Post by bean2friends »

Well, you guessed my suggestion. Try using less coffee. I'm having a hard time imagining how espresso would create sludge by interacting with milk foam. I still suggest keeping your doses to 16grams and under.

Pryzer (original poster)

#5: Post by Pryzer (original poster) »

I can't imagine it either. Not sure how I could suspend solids in a way that is different from normal.

Pryzer (original poster)

#6: Post by Pryzer (original poster) »

As much as I hate to admit to this, the situation would likely not occur if the milk isn't past its best before date.

sgmonkey

#7: Post by sgmonkey »

I'm also using the current Black Cat Organic Espresso blend....Has anyone found that BC's typically require a finer grind vs other roaster's espresso blends? On my preciso, typically I'm around a 10C-F for good espresso....but for the current BC organic I had to go all the way to ~6B. Strange!

Also, the current blend just doesn't seem to taste as good as it used to....maybe just the bags i got though

sqroot3

#8: Post by sqroot3 »

hmm, i always thought of black cat as a middle-of-the-road grind, not nearly as fine as some of the lighter roasts i have encountered (handsome, demitasse, blue bottle).

Viernes

#9: Post by Viernes »

It's the milk curdled?

Old milk + acidic coffee.

elusiven

#10: Post by elusiven »

I noticed that the most recent bag of Black Cat that I bought (roast date: 9/4) required a finer grind than it ever has in the past. Previously, dosing around 18g I was hovering around set point on my Mini, now it's a little under 2 full tick marks finer.

What baskets are you using? Perhaps something with finer holes (VSTs or EPNW HQs) would help?
Mins ago I just finished a black cat cap, dosed at 18g in an EPNW 14HQ basket and it was very clean.
LMWDP #497