Barismo's drip coffee "roaster's pick" sampler

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
jbviau
Supporter ★

#1: Post by jbviau »

Just received a shipping notice letting me know that my sampler is on its way with an ETA of Weds. or Thurs. I'd been hanging on to a Barismo gift certificate since Jan., patiently waiting for their 2012 Centrals to arrive. Now's the time, it seems! Five 8-oz. bags of whatever they recommend currently sounds great to me.

Based on what I see online, I should be getting:

1. Fazenda Progresso (Brazil)
2. Los Lobos (Costa Rica)
3. La Loma (Costa Rica)
4. Finca El Quizarra SOE (Costa Rica)
5. ???

Care to place your bets on what #5 might turn out to be?

Looking forward to this, as I've never ordered from Barismo before or had a chance to stop by their shop while in Boston on business. I'll update the thread later in the week.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

It's here! USPS decided to give the beans a few extra days rest--very thoughtful of them. Anyway, three of the coffees I was expecting to see when I opened the box, but the last two were complete surprises (to me at least) since they're not currently listed on the site.

1. Fazenda Progresso (Brazil)
2. Los Lobos (Costa Rica)
3. La Loma (Costa Rica)
4. Gatare (Burundi)
5. Yirgacheffe (Ethiopia)

Here's a peek. The bags are covered with info., which I appreciate.

And now for the tasting...

Intrepid510

#3: Post by Intrepid510 »

Thanks for the info looks good and to be honest have been wanting to get this pack. However their shipping is high.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Sure thing. Right, forgot to mention that before: $9.95 shipping via USPS Priority. I placed the order on Sun., and the coffee was roasted and sent out on Mon. (a day ahead of schedule; their site says the samplers ship on Tuesdays).

Sam21

#5: Post by Sam21 »

Don't pay attention to the info on the website. Their samplers ship as soon as they can (learned from experience!). They like to throw in an unlisted coffee here and there. When I ordered mine, I got a Guat and Tanzanian that were not listed. It's a great way to try a few different types of coffee.

For reference, their recommended g/ml does no include the pre-infusion amount. The idea it that it represents the yield. For 240ml cups I use right around 275ml. For 360ml cups, I use right about 400-410ml. The 240ml and 360ml is the amount of water that should be poured following the bloom. They like the pour, pause in the middle, pour structure for the larger cups and a continuous nonstop pour for small cups.

Enjoy that coffee!

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#6: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Thanks! Very useful info., though chances are I won't reach for a V60 to brew any of these up. More likely it'll be the Trifecta, Beehouse dripper, and maybe an Eva Solo thrown into the hardware mix. Let's keep that Trifecta bit on the DL--don't want to offend the roaster's manual brewing sensibilities. 8)

Tonight I cracked the Yirg and really enjoyed its bergamot, Earl Grey-like character, which came through distinctly without any of the astringency I associate (right or wrong) with tea. Sweet and round, it's my favorite of the three Barismo coffees I've tried so far.

Intrepid510

#7: Post by Intrepid510 »

Is the Ethiopian the washed wrote konga that is popping up at a few places.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#8: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Not sure. There's a little more info. here. If it came through the ECX, it's likely not the Wote Konga, right?

Sam21

#9: Post by Sam21 »

jbviau wrote:Thanks! Very useful info., though chances are I won't reach for a V60 to brew any of these up. More likely it'll be the Trifecta, Beehouse dripper, and maybe an Eva Solo thrown into the hardware mix. Let's keep that Trifecta bit on the DL--don't want to offend the roaster's manual brewing sensibilities.
I sent you a PM regarding your Beehouse, but did not want to take this thread off-topic by asking it here.

From what I have read of the Trifecta, I'm sure you will get excellent cups from all of those coffees with it!

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#10: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Barismo's Gatare is one of the nicer Burundis I've tried. It's all plum and cocoa-y, with floral aromatics that remind me a little of lavender.

Anecdotally, the Beehouse has given me the best cup of this one (yet).

Update: ^^^ I take it back, as changing the settings on the Trifecta (to A-:50; was at B-:45 before) yielded an equally awesome brew.