Article: Coffee's Next Generation of Roasters

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
keno

#1: Post by keno »

Oliver Strand article in the WSJ about some smaller up and coming roasters.
Coffee's Next Generation of Roasters
Oliver Strand wrote:About 15 years ago, a handful of small-time roasters set out to revolutionize their industry by approaching a cup of coffee with a chef's reverence for ingredients and a bartender's flair for presentation. They pioneered a direct-trade system, sourcing beans straight from farms around the world. Thanks to their efforts, America fell in love with flavorful, fragrant single-origin coffees and expertly crafted cappuccinos made with milk so creamy and sweet that sugar became unnecessary...

But as these purveyors grow into mature, influential organizations, the next class of innovators is surfacing. Populated by veterans of those first pioneering brands, this new guard isn't reinventing coffee so much as continuing a transformation already underway. Small, creative and hyperlocal, they're sourcing even more adventurously and sustainably, importing the best beans from the farthest corners of the earth. And they're opening in ever-smaller cities, turning America's long-brewing revolution into a full-blown indie coffee diaspora.

(cont'd)

ds

#2: Post by ds »

Nah, its same as old so called 3rd wave... Roasting so light its like you are drinking lemon juice and they call it varietal flavor... Yuk! I am waiting for pendulum to swing back to chocolate, berries and nuts :D

brianl

#3: Post by brianl replying to ds »

Luckily, I have a different arrangement of taste buds than you, which allows me to appreciate all kinds of flavours.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Take up home roasting while you wait. :lol:
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Marshall

#5: Post by Marshall »

Strand is writing a book about this. The good coffee diaspora is real. It was only 10 years ago that the most common complaint on alt.coffee was "the only good coffee in my town (county, region, state) is in my own kitchen."
Marshall
Los Angeles

Eastsideloco

#6: Post by Eastsideloco »

Ruby Roasters, which is mentioned in the article, is a good example of how extremely distributed good coffee is becoming. Nelsonville, WI has a poulation of 191. Yet Ruby's consistently sources superior coffees that are super fresh.

jyounk

#7: Post by jyounk »

LOVE what Ruby Roasters is doing right now

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

Good to hear, I just ordered some of their El Salvador Natamaya using the free shipping code that was still good yesterday from their Instagram post. Not sure how long that offer is good for, but it's in celebration of their mention in this article in the Wall Street Journal.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jyounk

#9: Post by jyounk replying to yakster »

The Natamaya does not disappoint!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

Came today, first cup was quite good, sweet and juicy but with some interesting bass notes. Looking forward to tomorrow morning for more.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272