Anyone try Blue Bottle Coffee? - Page 5

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Eastsideloco

#41: Post by Eastsideloco »

I also just finished reading the BB book (minus the baking section) and found it informative, insightful and surprisingly well written. James Freeman is not just coffee literate, he's highly literate and makes writing a smart, evocative and yet conversational manuscript look easy. The book is worth buying just for the poetic and philosophical description of a day in the life of a coffee roaster. I also enjoyed learning more about the history of coffee in Japan, and was inspired by several of the brew recipes. It got me rethinking and rededicated to my morning pourover, and my results in the cup are improved. Plus, it's a gorgeous book. The designer gets super high marks. I can't remember the last time I held a book in my hands that was as well designed.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#42: Post by jbviau »

^^^ You all are making me curious about this book (thanks).

In other news, I haven't seen a post here discussing the new "small lots" tins that Blue Bottle is offering. Shipping is free on them in Jan., too. So if you're tempted by small quantities (150 g.) of Ethiopia Kemgin, Ethiopia Nekisse, or Guatemala Finca El Injerto Capadocia Peaberry, head on over. I've got a few en route.

https://store.bluebottlecoffee.com/cate ... e-Origins/
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

fishll

#43: Post by fishll »

I was recently at the their Brooklyn location and loved their Hayes Valley Espresso blend. Perfect comfort style nutty/chocolaty tones compliments milk very well. Liked it so much I took home a bag.

Eastsideloco

#44: Post by Eastsideloco »

jbviau wrote:In other news, I haven't seen a post here discussing the new "small lots" tins that Blue Bottle is offering. Shipping is free on them in Jan., too. So if you're tempted by small quantities (150 g.) of Ethiopia Kemgin, Ethiopia Nekisse, or Guatemala Finca El Injerto Capadocia Peaberry, head on over. I've got a few en route.

Thanks for the tip. Got one each of the Ethiopian tins before the free shipping special ran out. (Finca La Injerto must have gone fast.) Plan on popping a tin open this afternoon.

TheSunInsideYou

#45: Post by TheSunInsideYou »

jbviau wrote:^^^ You all are making me curious about this book (thanks).

In other news, I haven't seen a post here discussing the new "small lots" tins that Blue Bottle is offering. Shipping is free on them in Jan., too. So if you're tempted by small quantities (150 g.) of Ethiopia Kemgin, Ethiopia Nekisse, or Guatemala Finca El Injerto Capadocia Peaberry, head on over. I've got a few en route.

Josh, I had that Nekisse, and it was delicious. Definite blueberry, strawberry bomb, while not lacking in body too much. Solid coffee. Hope you enjoy.

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#46: Post by jbviau »

Nice! I definitely agree. Tried both of the Ethiopians and came away impressed. The Kemgin was my favorite. Also, I'm a huge fan of the smaller quantities and packaging.

Alphadork

#47: Post by Alphadork »

I drink Blue Bottle every day. Their single-origin Ethiopian beans made the best shot of espresso I've ever tasted in my entire life.

Eastsideloco

#48: Post by Eastsideloco »

The Nekisse was definitely a big hit in Austin. One of my colleagues is a coffee nerd, so I had him over after work on Friday for a shot of the Nekisse. He couldn't remember the last time he'd had a better shot, and he's been drinking the best espressos available locally (Counter Culture, Madcap, Handsome, etc.) There is a lot of berry, especially when you smell the whole beans, but it is super clean in the cup. (The Worka I just finished was super skunky by comparison.) As an espresso the volatile floral elements in the coffee get really concentrated, and everything else tastes flat beside it. I'm really glad I picked some up.

[Edit: Coffee Review gave the Nekisse a 94: http://www.coffeereview.com/review.cfm?ID=2999 ]

I also thought it was interesting to just check out the packaging. There's this whole design element to the ultra-premium coffee thing. The packaging itself needs signal higher quality, exclusivity, uniqueness, or similar. The BB packaging felt sort of hand made, like they are still testing out some concepts. But it was a special experience to open the box, which is definitely what they are going for.

There are still two or three days left for the free shipping. You can basically get a couple small lot tins delivered to your door for a modest premium over a regular 12 oz bag plus shipping. Starting in February, the premium goes up because shipping is no longer free.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#49: Post by jbviau »

Eastsideloco wrote:I also thought it was interesting to just check out the packaging. There's this whole design element to the ultra-premium coffee thing. The packaging itself needs signal higher quality, exclusivity, uniqueness, or similar. The BB packaging felt sort of hand made, like they are still testing out some concepts. But it was a special experience to open the box, which is definitely what they are going for.
About this, my own preference would be for BB to take a hint from, say, Verve and put the beans in a valve bag inside the tin/can (like Verve does for their Geishas). Also, if I'm being picky, I don't like the adhesive left behind when you remove the thin strip holding the BB tin's lid on since I plan on reusing the tins; a little rubbing alcohol took care of it though. Anyway, agreed that overall the packaging was more of a win than a fail.

Eastsideloco

#50: Post by Eastsideloco »

Yes, I've only seen the pics, but that's ideal packaging. Verve has such a great design team/aesthetic. Excellent coffee, too. I might have only ordered from them once last year, but it was one of my favorites from 2012.

[Edit: I had to use Goof Off to remove all of the label adhesive from the BB tins.]