Anokhi

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
kaldi61

#1: Post by kaldi61 »

Hello all,

Has anyone recently come across any Anokhi coffee? It is a Liberica strain (as opposed to arabica or robusta), and comes from India. I bought a pound from Sweet Maria's several years ago. The blueberry notes knocked me to the floor. it was so unusual, but in a positive way. I thought that it was a bit too dominating to make as a standalone drink, so I mixed it in at various percentages with roasted Kenya AA or Ethiopians. When it ran out I was devastated.

I figured it may pop up again when in season but it hasn't. I have been meaning to email the folks at Sweet Marias to inquire, but haven't yet.

Anyone have experience with this particular bean? Anyone know about the apparent issues with sourcing?
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

MediaMan2014

#2: Post by MediaMan2014 »

Nelson,

I had some at Urban Steam (Colorado Springs, CO) when we visited a friend back in August (2014) and they also had some packaged for sale. I can't recall where they sourced it from or if they still have it - likely not. I agree with you that this Liberica bean provided the wildest flavor profile I think I have ever tasted in a coffee! Other than blueberry, it's almost difficult to describe to people, but just an experience that every coffee enthusiast should try.

Best,
Scott

EvanOz85

#3: Post by EvanOz85 »

I would love to try this. It looks like Sweet Maria's last stocked it in 2007? That doesn't seem very promising.

kaldi61 (original poster)

#4: Post by kaldi61 (original poster) »

I have some leads - some folks do source this - but I have been busy and haven't followed up - will post again when I have more info. It is a most unusual bean.
-Nelson

EvanOz85

#5: Post by EvanOz85 replying to kaldi61 »

Any updates?

kaldi61 (original poster)

#6: Post by kaldi61 (original poster) »

I will email the guys and see if they have any greens in stock - I am ready to make a purchase. Will let you know.
-Nelson