Allegro Esmeralda Gesha at Wholefoods

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
pren

#1: Post by pren »

Wholefoods has the Esmeralda 1500 Gesha at some of their stores. I picked up a bag (12 oz, $19.99), and tried out using Aeropress with fairly long steep time. I got plenty of tea and fresh acidity but not much of the floral part of it. Anybody tried this?

Shenrei

#2: Post by Shenrei »

I'm a bit curious about this. I haven't had much success with Allegro coffee in general except for possibly their Shangri-La El Salvador coffee, which was decently good. Might try to pick up a bag of Gesha tomorrow.
- Tim

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

Was there a roast date on the bag?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

pren (original poster)

#4: Post by pren (original poster) »

As you might know allegro doesn't give roast date on their coffee. The store I picked it up says it's good from 10/13 to 1/25. I guess it should be within 10 days.

pren (original poster)

#5: Post by pren (original poster) »

Shenrei wrote:I'm a bit curious about this. I haven't had much success with Allegro coffee in general except for possibly their Shangri-La El Salvador coffee, which was decently good. Might try to pick up a bag of Gesha tomorrow.
worth a try. good price AFAIKS.

SpromoSapiens

#6: Post by SpromoSapiens »

Saw it today in Boise ID. Pretty surprising. Sticker said use by Feb 2015. What a waste. Attractive bag, though.

endlesscycles

#7: Post by endlesscycles »

Is that bag FULL of coffee? I don't think my darkest roasts are that big / low density.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

rjamadagni

#8: Post by rjamadagni »

It is not a bag FULL of coffee, there is empty space on top but it is sealed, so no way to find out if it is filled with Nitrogen or just plain air. I picked one from Alpharetta GA store and been using it in Aeropress, doesn't taste like old coffee. Tastes good, I have a plan to finish the bag in less than 2 weeks after opening the bag.

SpromoSapiens

#9: Post by SpromoSapiens »

It's a 12oz heat-sealed foil-lined valve bag. If you zoom in on the bottom of the pic you can faintly see the weight & valve. I would hope the gas is off-gassed CO2. Does nitrogen get trapped by valve bags? It would be great if one of HB's all-star tasters picked one up & weighed in....

endlesscycles

#10: Post by endlesscycles »

I bought some. I was hoping there would at least be some hint of being a special coffee beyond the attractive bag. Not the case.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC