Allegro Esmeralda Gesha at Wholefoods - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
TomC
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC »

I feel extra disappointed for the uninformed folks who try a very stale Geisha, then go forward in life with that as their impression of it. Especially if it's their only encounter with it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

poison

#12: Post by poison »

I grabbed a bag as well. I've pulled some very nice shots with it, which displayed some floral notes, but it has an odd bitter note, and isn't as sweet as it should be.

caldwa

#13: Post by caldwa »

I asked Whole Foods - the best by 2/4/15 beans were roasted 10/4/15. I wanted to pick up a bag when I first saw it, but that was already a month past roast.

silsurf

#14: Post by silsurf »

I was really curious about this bag and finally bought one as I was in between Blue Bottle shipments. Its good, perhaps even very good, though the bag I bought was certainly getting a little old.

But what I am really interested is this.

I just read God In A Cup by by Michaele Weissman. I assume many if not most folks interested in third wave coffee have either heard of it or read it. Though, it was given to me by a friend and I had never heard of it and I passed it on to another friend who is even a bigger coffee fiend than I and he had not heard of it.

I would say it is pretty much a must read for any of us.

Coincidentally the tbook was written when Gesha was first being cultivated and after Hacienda Esmerelda had won the Panamanian Cup of Excellence three years in a row, but was unheard of and probably has not happened since.

THis started the Gesha crazea nd since the trees take 6-7 years to bear fruit, basically 2013-14 crops are the first Gesha to come since the "craze" started and many plantations started cultivating some variety of Gesha.

Of course this is evinced by the amount of Gesha that came out this year, I was even given a Gesha sampler from Blue Bottle that was indeed quite outstanding, but also quite expensive (like $100/12 oz), so in a word question:

How in the world is Allegro offering a Esmeralda Gesha for $20 for 12 oz?

Thanks,

Henry

TomC
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC »

caldwa wrote:I asked Whole Foods - the best by 2/4/15 beans were roasted 10/4/15. I wanted to pick up a bag when I first saw it, but that was already a month past roast.

I was desperate the other night, knowing I only had about 1 double shot's worth of espresso left and nothing properly rested from my own roasts, so I swung by Whole Foods on my way home from work (the only place I could find still open at 8pm near my route home) to get some espresso bound beans. The Allegro espresso blend I picked up had a roast on date, not a best by date.

Nothing on the shelves (from 5 or 6 different micro roasters) was less than 9 days old. Probably half of them were >11. I imagine knowing stocking days would help, but it's so rare that I buy someone else's coffee that I wouldn't bother to plan it out.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/