Adventures of an espresso enthusiast on a budget

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Adamned21

#1: Post by Adamned21 »

Objective: Determine and discuss quality beans that offer a good value. Any recommendations or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Machine: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Grinder setting:7
Dose: 17G
Extraction time: 27 sec
Ratio: 1:2

Beans: Lavazza pienaroma

Result: For a change of pace this 100% arabica bean provides an addictive taste profile. Thoroughly enjoyed this bean. It offers an outstanding value. Its my opinion this is a underrated bean. I would definitely buy a kilo again every few months or so.

AN

sprin001

#2: Post by sprin001 »

Lavazza isn't really a discount brand. I shopped around for budget-minded brands, to get into the top tier they're all ~80+ for 5 lbs. I've found that chris coffee does a pretty good job with their Machristay brand and shipping including stays in the 50-60 dollar range (10$ per lb is awesome). They're fresh and fully flavored but may be a darker roast than the usual. I drink capp's but my wife drinks lattes - we're both pretty pleased with the machristay. I hope this is helpful, not sure what you were looking for.

FWIW - I didn't brands like intelligentsia and stumptown offered alot more in terms of quality, but they do have a larger variety in roast profiles.

JR_Germantown

#3: Post by JR_Germantown »

It might help to know what part of the world you (the original poster) are in. I'm guessing it's not the US.

Jack

dominico
Team HB

#4: Post by dominico »

Both posters list themselves as from the US, so I'm going to go off of that assumption.

Two 2kilo bags (about 4.5 lbs) of Lavazza Pienaroma can be found at espressozone for just shy of $60, with free shipping:
http://www.espressozone.com/lavazza-pie ... ans-2-2-lb

If you are into Italian imported coffees, another popular brand among HB members seems to Kimbo Superior: http://www.espressozone.com/kimbo-super ... ans-2-2-lb

Check out this thread for more talk about Italian imports: Italian Coffees. Lets talk about Kimbo, Danesi, Lavazza, Caffe motta, Illy

As far as American roasted coffee goes, at less than $60 for 5 lbs shipped, pretty much any coffee from Redbird is high quality at a good deal. My favorite blend of theirs is their Blue Jaguar, but their Sweet Blue and classic Redbird Espresso blends are also rather popular. They have a variety of nicely priced single origins available as well, although I will admit I haven't tried many of them out.
https://redbirdcoffee.com/collections/c ... r-espresso

For further notes about Redbird: Red Bird - Sweet Blue or Blue Jag?
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

sprin001

#5: Post by sprin001 »

I didn't realize redbird was that reasonably priced. I know where I'm shopping next :)
Also, the poster has his location listed as Chicago - that's why I mentioned intelli

JR_Germantown

#6: Post by JR_Germantown replying to sprin001 »

Sorry. Viewing from a phone, the user's location doesn't show up unless you want to look at the profile (at least, I don't see it). The reference to kilograms threw me off. I didn't realize Lavazza sold here by the kilo.

Jack

hienkle

#7: Post by hienkle »

Yesterday I was at trader's Joe (in Rockville, Maryland) and they have Gesha for 19 bucks/can of 8 oz. A store gets only 48 cans. Each can is numbered from 1 to 48! I got one, it is a city roast.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by RockyIII »

JR_Germantown wrote:Sorry. Viewing from a phone, the user's location doesn't show up unless you want to look at the profile (at least, I don't see it). The reference to kilograms threw me off. I didn't realize Lavazza sold here by the kilo.

Jack
If you turn your phone sideways, you should see the user profile information on the right.

Rocky

Adamned21 (original poster)

#9: Post by Adamned21 (original poster) »

I appreicate all the feedback that is being provided. Thanks much! Some actionable information was provided so thats great. I never realized Redbird was that affordable. I thought it was considerably more. My range is $30 per kilo so 5lbs at $60 is right in line. I will also check out this Chris Coffee: Machristay. I read the first few pages of the thread for italian blends and Kimbo Superior is next on my list to order. Please keep the recomendations coming I really appreciate them. My only thing is I dont want oily beans that is a big no-no for me regardless of how delicious it is. I want my machines to operate in good condiiton for quite some time. Thanks!

AN

Adamned21 (original poster)

#10: Post by Adamned21 (original poster) »

I was having a conversation with a colleague and we strongly disagree on taking espresso with milk. I was wondering the consensus here. Firstly, one should drink what they like! They should accept what they like and not force it. So there is nothing wrong with adding a little milk. However, it was my opinion that adding milk is like adding coke to a good single malt whiskey. It is fundamentally a waste. That individual is wasting their money on good whiskey and would be better served buying Jack Daniels or Johnny Walker Red. So the same goes with decent espresso. Do you guys think that analogy is sound or is my opinion wrong?