$500 per pound

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
User avatar
the_trystero
Posts: 914
Joined: May 16, 2011, 7:10 pm

Postby the_trystero » Jun 19, 2012, 9:13 pm

Ok, I think my limit is $80 to $100 per pound. This is incredible.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

User avatar
another_jim
Team HB
Posts: 9965
Joined: May 05, 2005, 1:16 am

Postby another_jim » Jun 19, 2012, 9:27 pm

Details here

Who the bloody effing hell is YT Infinite?

official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts - official US importer for Olympia Express
User avatar
the_trystero
Posts: 914
Joined: May 16, 2011, 7:10 pm

Postby the_trystero » Jun 19, 2012, 9:31 pm

Thanks for the auction link.

I'm interested in trying the Tanzania - Maragogype from Verve or Blue Bottle when they roast it.

edit: I wonder if this will bump interest in the other mocca's out there like Maui Grown's.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

User avatar
Bak Ta Lo
Posts: 856
Joined: Feb 03, 2012, 12:54 pm

Postby Bak Ta Lo » Jun 19, 2012, 9:42 pm

another_jim wrote:Details here

Who the bloody effing hell is YT Infinite?


Korean coffee company. http://brianscoffee.com/
LMWDP #371

User avatar
Marshall
Posts: 3273
Joined: May 13, 2005, 5:00 pm

Postby Marshall » Jun 19, 2012, 10:01 pm

another_jim wrote:Details here

Who the bloody effing hell is YT Infinite?

Korean roaster. More and more, the best of the best goes to Asia.
Marshall
Los Angeles

User avatar
the_trystero
Posts: 914
Joined: May 16, 2011, 7:10 pm

Postby the_trystero » Jun 19, 2012, 10:04 pm

Bak Ta Lo wrote:Korean coffee company. http://brianscoffee.com/


Ah, cool, have you had a chance to try their beans?
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

User avatar
another_jim
Team HB
Posts: 9965
Joined: May 05, 2005, 1:16 am

Postby another_jim » Jun 19, 2012, 10:10 pm

The good news here is that the price of geisha is coming down. The mocha cultivar, despite its legendary reputation, is mostly an amateur hour comfort food bean, while the geisha cultivar is for real. So if wealthy Koreans get their introduction to high end coffee with El Injerto's mocha; more power to them, and perhaps not a great loss to us.

home of the Black Cat project
Sponsored by Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea - home of the Black Cat project
User avatar
Bak Ta Lo
Posts: 856
Joined: Feb 03, 2012, 12:54 pm

Postby Bak Ta Lo » Jun 19, 2012, 10:45 pm

the_trystero wrote:Ah, cool, have you had a chance to try their beans?


No, never had their beans.

I see they have 1KG of Yemen Mocha Matari (Limited) listed for 100,000 Won, around $100 USD. 1KG of Kenya AA Gatomboya for about $108USD.

Korea is already quite coffee crazy, more like Japan or Taiwan than mainland China. The interesting thing about all those markets is they are "drip" markets, syphon/brew are more popular than espresso based. And geeking out over a particular bean is the same reaction as chasing a famous tea leaf, so that market is pre-built to go after "named" or branded products. The same reason Japan still runs all the Blue Mountain prices up so high, the brand recognition.
LMWDP #371

User avatar
farmroast
Posts: 1587
Joined: Jan 01, 2007, 5:27 pm

Postby farmroast » Jun 19, 2012, 10:49 pm

another_jim wrote:The good news here is that the price of geisha is coming down. The mocha cultivar, despite its legendary reputation, is mostly an amateur hour comfort food bean, while the geisha cultivar is for real. So if wealthy Koreans get their introduction to high end coffee with El Injerto's mocha; more power to them, and perhaps not a great loss to us.

+1 same as the pacamara prices have settled
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

User avatar
the_trystero
Posts: 914
Joined: May 16, 2011, 7:10 pm

Postby the_trystero » Jun 19, 2012, 11:05 pm

Bak Ta Lo wrote:No, never had their beans.

I see they have 1KG of Yemen Mocha Matari (Limited) listed for 100,000 Won, around $100 USD. 1KG of Kenya AA Gatomboya for about $108USD.

Korea is already quite coffee crazy, more like Japan or Taiwan than mainland China. The interesting thing about all those markets is they are "drip" markets, syphon/brew are more popular than espresso based. And geeking out over a particular bean is the same reaction as chasing a famous tea leaf, so that market is pre-built to go after "named" or branded products. The same reason Japan still runs all the Blue Mountain prices up so high, the brand recognition.


Thanks for that analysis. I looked at their prices for the Yemen and Kenya but hadn't run the conversion yet.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon