5-pound bags - who is your favorite roaster?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
werbin

#1: Post by werbin »

5-pound bags - who is your favorite roaster?

For several years now, I have been ordering espresso beans in 5 pound bags and freezing them in mason jars.
The cost is usually about $50 - $60 including shipping.
The quantity, quality and cost works well for me.

I had been using Paradise Roasters for their single origin and Redbird as an alternative.

Recently Paradise dropped their single origin from 5 pound wholesale shipments citing an increase in cost.
They still have their Classico and Nuevo in 5 pound bags.

I just ordered from Redbird.

Are there other 5-pound quantity roasters that other Home-Barista readers can highly recommend?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

If you check out the http://www.gocoffeego.com site you'll see 2lb & 5lb options for most of the roasters on there even though the same roasters may not offer those options on their own site.
LMWDP 267

Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

Northbound of Mt Shasta CA and Velton's (Everett, WA) are both highly capable roasters and offer 5 # bags. Definitely among my favorites. I've also enjoyed the bargains in imported Italian blends (from distributors some of whom are in or near NYC,) sizeable quants although not 5#.
LMWDP #198

gophish

#4: Post by gophish »

Mountain Air is my current favorite mail order roaster. They offer free shipping, 5lb bags, and if you order 4 or more bags (250g bags) it's $5 off per bag. Some of their 5lb bags are only $45. I have tried 8 of their coffees, which rotate regularly, and they have all been very good, accurately described, and appropriately roasted. My favorite blend to be used as espresso was black mountain, it was a comfort shot that wan't boring, great in milk and by itself, bittersweet chocolate, syrupy caramel-y mouthfeel.

The only thing to be aware of with their SO's is that not all are very espresso friendly. I had a difficult time with a few of their more delicate SO's only to find out that they really weren't intended to be pulled as espresso, go figure.

(I am not affiliated with mtn air in any way, I just feel like they offer high quality coffee at fair prices)
Versalab

Balthazar_B

#5: Post by Balthazar_B »

gophish wrote:Mountain Air is my current favorite mail order roaster. They offer free shipping, 5lb bags, and if you order 4 or more bags (250g bags) it's $5 off per bag. Some of their 5lb bags are only $45. I have tried 8 of their coffees, which rotate regularly, and they have all been very good, accurately described, and appropriately roasted. My favorite blend to be used as espresso was black mountain, it was a comfort shot that wan't boring, great in milk and by itself, bittersweet chocolate, syrupy caramel-y mouthfeel.

The only thing to be aware of with their SO's is that not all are very espresso friendly. I had a difficult time with a few of their more delicate SO's only to find out that they really weren't intended to be pulled as espresso, go figure.

(I am not affiliated with mtn air in any way, I just feel like they offer high quality coffee at fair prices)
What have you found the best temperature for Black Mountain? I've been dialing in grind and weight on a sample of this blend but don't have enough left for extensive temperature surfing. I'm finding 199 F a bit low, but don't know how high I can go without bitterness. Just looking for tips from past experience.
- John

LMWDP # 577

shawndo

#6: Post by shawndo »

Klatch is on that gocoffeego site but also sell 5 lbs direct. I think they are a site sponsor and sometimes advertise deals in the vendor section. It has been a while since I've looked though
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

sweaner

#7: Post by sweaner »

Bodka has 5 lb bags, around $65. This is a bit more than Red Bird but still a good price.
Scott
LMWDP #248

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by njtnjt »

New Harvest in RI
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

Compass Coffee

#9: Post by Compass Coffee »

Our few blends and all our single origins are offered in 5lb. Remember to use your HB20 discount code for 20% off list...
Mike McGinness