Where's good coffee in Los Angeles?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
whitedime

#1: Post by whitedime »

Going there may 25th or so

russel

#2: Post by russel »

In what areas will you be? There's a lot of coffee in LA and also a lot of traffic...

My favorite is the syphon brew at Balconi in Sawtelle Japan Town - but only when Ray is on bar. I'll also plug Endorffeine because Jack is a friend and a coffee scientist worth meeting. There are lots of great shops all over, but I really like the extra small businesses where you really get to appreciate the barista's craft, I think Merry White discusses it as kodawari in Coffee Life in Japan. If you can, make the trip to visit Greg at Trystero.

Semi-shameless plug of my former home: If you're a home roaster, you can give Demitasse Hollywood a call and stop by on a roast day to talk up the head bean browner...maybe I can get them to offer an HB discount :D
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

chrisbodnarphoto

#3: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

If you make it to Santa Monica you MUST - Must - go to Funnel Mill. It'll blow your mind. My favorite is the truffle cold brew. Out of this world!

Lacoffee

#4: Post by Lacoffee »

Silverlake/echo park is stocked... Just hit sunset blvd at hillhurst and troll your way east. Vita, Dinosaur, Intelligentsia, Blue bottle, etc. it's too much. And Trystero is close by in atwater, but he's usually only open wed. 10-1 or possibly sunday morning. Cognoscenti at Proof bakery is right next to greg...
Andrew

mauijer

#5: Post by mauijer »

If you've never been to Intelligentsia you should stop by; never had a bad shot at the Venice beach location.

Gregorholl

#6: Post by Gregorholl »

Hi..
I think you left out pretty much MOST of the best coffee shops in LA. The Coffee Bar in Downtown La, Handsome Coffee Roasters & Stumptown (also in downtown LA), Fix Coffee in Echo Park, Caffe Vita in Los Feliz... and Intelligentsia in Silverlake (or Pasadena). How did you miss these? Kind of a bummer to see all of these places that make outstanding coffee not even be mentioned. Somehow I feel like the person who wrote this has never been east of Hollywood and Highland. Sadly - I'm going to have to agree with Robert on this one. Also - Bricks and Scones has amazing Scones. I would absolutely pass on their coffee.

Marshall

#7: Post by Marshall »

Handsome was sold to Blue Bottle over two years ago. Good new shops open nearly every month, but Matthew Kang's Eater L.A. list of 51 best shops (with map) will be your most useful guide http://la.eater.com/maps/los-angeles-gr ... map-photos.

If you look at the map, you will see that high-end shop owners only want to sell in a very narrow band across metro L.A. There is overlooked territory that more open-minded shops will make a killing in.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Lacoffee

#8: Post by Lacoffee »

Where did you go? What did you like?
Andrew

Bodka Coffee

#9: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Is there anything in the airport? Have a stop there today.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#10: Post by mivanitsky »

Klatch is at LAX, but the espresso is not usually as good as it is at one of their "real shops," where it is phenomenal (but not in LA).