Toby's Innovation Series: Mechanics of coffee extraction (Brooklyn NY)

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
gscace

#1: Post by gscace »

I gave a talk on the mechanics of espresso extraction earlier this year in Sydney and Melbourne, as part of Toby's Estate Coffee's Knowledge Talks series. Toby's asked me if I would be willing to talk about the subject at their 6th St. cafe in Brooklyn, and I said "Sure!" So I'm going to give a talk about espresso brewing. The talk is gonna present an engineering model for dissolution of coffee solids into liquid. From that model, one can see what parameters are important for optimized brewing. I'll discuss diffusivity, temperature and energy, heat transfer, Surface area and grinding , pressure, concentration gradient. I'll talk about energy management in coffee machines, how to control brewing parameters and the use of measurements in coffee. I have experimental data that supports the talk and illustrates what goes on during espresso brewing. It's a technical talk for a non-technical audience, and you dont' have to be an engineer to follow it.

The talk is part of Toby's Innovation Series of talks. Date is October 14, and time is 7:00 PM. Location is Toby's Estate Coffees Brooklyn Roastery and Cafe, which is at 125 N. 6th St. in Brooklyn, NY. Link to info is http://tobysestate.com/product/espresso ... f_the_art/

I think it oughta be of interest to the HB community, and I hope you can come.

-Greg Scace

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Lucky Brooklynites!

it would be really cool if someone from the HB community would record the talk and shares it on Youtube or something.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

gscace (original poster)

#3: Post by gscace (original poster) »

Tom, I asked Toby's if it could be recorded as I'd like a copy. They said that they knew folks who were videographers, so I'm hopeful that it will be recorded.

trumz

#4: Post by trumz »

Yes Greg, it would be greatly appreciated to get the talk recorded for us "outta towners".

AssafL

#5: Post by AssafL »

Was the talk recorded?
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.