Third Wave Cafes in Europe

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
keno

#1: Post by keno »

Here's an interesting article from the Wall St Journal on 3rd wave cafes opening in Europe.

Europe (Finally) Wakes Up to Superior Coffee
WSJ wrote:So long, bitter, medicinal espresso. Brewed in the U.S. and Australia, coffee's next wave is finally overtaking the capitals of Europe. Here's where to find the best cups on the Continent right now.
Looking forward to trying out Ditta Artigianale when I'll be in Florence in early November.

gophish

#2: Post by gophish »

Thanks for posting! I'll be in Florence at the end of the month, it will be nice to hit the contrast of a third wave shop in the middle of my trip to compare. Are there any other must hit cafes (that aren't too far away from the usual city centers)? I'll be in the Amalfi Coast area, Rome, Sienna, Florence, Cinque Terre, Venice, and half a day in Milan.

I definitely noticed the rapid rise of more artisanal coffee in Paris last spring, and thank goodness, what the typical cafe serves is quite terrible!
Versalab

Nick Name

#3: Post by Nick Name »

That title of the article seems a little amusing for us Scandinavians (which BTW is in Europe). :roll:

Bluecold

#4: Post by Bluecold »

And again, americans completely drop the ball when talking about 'Europe'.

England, Belgium and Scandinavian countries were pushing the envelope years ago. The Netherlands and France have lagged behind a bit, but it has been possible to get really great coffee also in the Netherlands for quite some time now.

Italian espresso culture is of course completely different, and I'd put a well-pulled shot of Illy against most of the shots currently served in bars that are walking the tight rope that is 'third wave espresso'.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Nick Name

#5: Post by Nick Name »

Bluecold wrote:And again, americans completely drop the ball when talking about 'Europe'.
I guess someone (at least some good person) could or should have mentioned this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Bar ... st_winners
to that sorry excuse for a journalist. :)

But how do you guys say, ignorance is a bliss. :wink:

But it is nice to see that Italy (which in fact is only a very very tiny part of modern day Europe) is waking up... if there's any truth in that story to begin with. 8)

keno (original poster)

#6: Post by keno (original poster) »

Just discovered this interesting new cafe in Manchester, UK called Idle Hands.

It is conveniently located right outside of Piccadilly Train station. Inside the decor is very much in the Scandinavian tradition, bright and sparsely furnished. They have a 2 group La Marzocco FB80 (I think), Simonelli Mythos, and EK43. They serve coffees roasted by a UK roaster and Heart from Portland, OR. The barista I spoke with said that they took a tour of U.S. cafes prior to opening and that Heart was their favorite. I had a double shot with 3oz milk or what would elsewhere be called a macchiato.

The coffee was delicious and comparable to the better cafes I've found in the U.S. They also have a small menu of food items to choose from. Recommended if you are visiting Manchester.

Nick Name

#7: Post by Nick Name »

If you need a cup of coffee in the Nordic countries:

www.nordiccoffeeculture.com/read/places/

michael

#8: Post by michael »

does anyone have a recommendation for good coffee in Milan 8)

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Peppersass »

keno wrote:Looking forward to trying out Ditta Artigianale when I'll be in Florence in early November.
You won't regret it!

Guess I beat the WSJ to it. See this post about my experience last summer at Ditta Artigianale.

spressomon

#10: Post by spressomon replying to Peppersass »

One more "thank you" to you Dick for your referral to Ditta Artigianale! It was our daily ritual to walk to DA while we were in Florence.
No Espresso = Depresso