Tasting get-togethers in Santa Cruz / San Jose / San Francisco?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
RioCruz

#1: Post by RioCruz »

Are there any sort of espresso tasting get-togethers in the Santa Cruz area? San Jose? San Francisco?

I've come to realize that other than the espresso I've had in commercial coffee houses (which are generally pretty awful), I really have nothing to compare my own shots with. So I was thinking there are probably groups of espresso aficionados in the area who get together to compare shots. No? Maybe all lever tastings? A combination of levers and automatics?
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

fluke

#2: Post by fluke »

RioCruz wrote:Are there any sort of espresso tasting get-togethers in the Santa Cruz area? San Jose? San Francisco?
I'd be interested to see about this as well. Haven't played around with a lever, but I have a 2 group commercial that's usually fired up in the garage down in Santa Cruz. I also swing by the Verve roastery by Seabright occasionally.

bm_cricket

#3: Post by bm_cricket replying to fluke »

I life in Santa Cruz and I just (yesterday) got my 2 group Astoria lever working. I have a lot of troubleshooting to do and I would love to see someone else's home setup to see what I can do to improve my setup.
Life is short, enjoy every sip.

sonnyhad

#4: Post by sonnyhad »

Well there you go! Its been years since I've been in Santa Cruz and as I recall its not that big, and yet there are 3 of you that hail from there! Get together and have some fun, get the place dirty with coffee grounds!
LMWDP 437

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

We do gatherings usually about twice a year. They're always great times and since there's so many coffee and espresso enthusiasts concentrated in the bay area, it's usually a great turn out each time. We switch them up from cuppings, lever demonstrations, roasting get-togethers etc.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

forbeskm

#6: Post by forbeskm »

If all goes well I'll be getting out to San Jose again shortly. I an a Pavoni Lever guy but always interested in the other equipment. I have get down to Santa Cruz one a trip usually with a stop in Scott's Valley.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

Sounds like a South Bay lever meet-up brewing. I've got a La Peppina, Gaggia Factory, and Faema Faemina anno '50 and Santa Cruz is just over the hill for me.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

With enough notice I could participate too. I could bring any two of my 1987 model Cremina, 1989 Elektra Microcasa a Leva, Millennium La Pavoni Europiccola or Arrarex Caravel. The Conti Prestina and Lady Duchessa can be experienced at my home.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

kajer

#9: Post by kajer »

drgary wrote:With enough notice I could participate too...
Here here. I am in San Mateo and would like to see what I am missing, and how I can improve my technique. I have a Rancilio E1 to donate to the gathering if we are all bringing machines. Also, I'm always on the lookout for a good grinder, if anyone needs to put one out to pasture... Just sayin'. :mrgreen:

That being said, do these gatherings and tastings result in mass caffeine jitters and a bunch of people jumping off the walls?

RioCruz (original poster)

#10: Post by RioCruz (original poster) »

Well...DANDY! Looks like we've got ourselves an Espresso Tasting Event brewing. I'll send a PM to those who have expressed interest and let's see if we can set up a time and place amenable to all. Stay tuned...

Also...to Tom... I sent you a PM with my email address to be added to the San Francisco tastings. If there's someone else I should contact, please let me know.

Thanks!
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle