South Florida specialty coffee shops - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
cmin

#11: Post by cmin »

jbviau wrote:I think there's still the one location off of Federal and another in C&I Studios that I haven't visited. See Yelp, for example. Let's check?! Their website is down, which is odd.
Weird, but yeah if there's one there now that's only a few blocks away from Laser Wolf which is an awesome little craft beer bar lol. Though that'd be weird if it's there as it would be just down the street from their Federal shop, they'd have two that close together? Sucks they closed the Hirmarshee one, it was smaller but way cooler and chill, had some great drinks there. Workers there seemed to be on their A-game vs when I would hit up the Federal one.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#12: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

I never checked out the Himmarshee location. Will let you know if/when I get to the bottom of this via Twitter.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

pShoe

#13: Post by pShoe »

jbviau wrote:Thanks, Paul. I added Threefold based on your recommendation. Have you been to Cafe Curuba near there?
Nope. I was killing time down there figured I'd try to find a good cafe. As I was searching for places on my phone I noticed the panther sign in the Threefolds Cafe's window. I probably won't be down that way for a while, but I have visiting Curuba on my checklist now.

BTW, I swear I overheard a Barista at Brew Urban mention their second location (Himmarshee??) close down.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by emradguy »

Is it true there's still nothing worth visiting in the Westin/Miramar area?
LMWDP #748

cmin

#15: Post by cmin »

pShoe wrote: BTW, I swear I overheard a Barista at Brew Urban mention their second location (Himmarshee??) close down.
Yeah it closed like a year and half ago. I was there right before it closed lol, wife was wedding dress shopping so I went and hung out there and had a couple drinks lol. It was cool, a lot smaller and more rustic and chill vs the Ft Lauderdale spot, and I swear the drinks were better, Lauderdale one seemed iffy like the baristas weren't on their a-game a bunch of times.
emradguy wrote:Is it true there's still nothing worth visiting in the Westin/Miramar area?
People in Westin rather go to Charbucks and be "seen" :mrgreen: . Don't you have fam out there? Oye vey how do they live that far west lol. I don't think I could even live west of '95 haha :lol:

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by emradguy »

Yeah, in Westin...they're from the Venezuelan side. Ha, wife's best friend (Miramar) also Venezuelan. We're going out in July. Going to drive this trip, hit Orlando for a few days, then head south for a few more. I hope to meet you in person this trip, Chris! In September, I'm going to be in Key Biscayne for several days too...conference at the Ritz there - whoohoo!
LMWDP #748

cmin

#17: Post by cmin replying to emradguy »

Funny you say that as Weston has a massive Venezuelan (and south american) population. Yeah that'd be cool, I think we're gonna be up north sometime in July but don't think we have anything planned Sept.

Years and years ago met this chick who was from Weston, went out only a few times, that drive was a betoch. She may have been hot and awesome 8) but driving all the way out there, then all the way to downtown Lauderdale for fun, then back etc.... booty not worth it lol. Think I spent more gas money in the truck then on her ha, thats when I live in Boca.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#18: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

^^^ Maybe we should arrange a little S. FL meet-up over the summer? Would be fun.

Re: Brew Urban, I just called them. It turns out that the C&I Studios location is their only one now, since the Victoria Park location is being renovated and will reopen under new management, if I understood correctly over the phone, as a different coffee shop.

Miramar's very close to me. No, I'm not aware of anything worth visiting there coffeewise. Yoni at Grind Coffee Project will be opening a few shops this year, I believe, but despite my lobbying he doesn't intend to spread westward.

In other news, keep an eye on Panther's social media accounts. They've got a BKON brewer in Sunset Harbour, looks like, and there was mention of training. I hope to be able to swing by there and try some vacuum-enhanced coffee before long!

pShoe

#19: Post by pShoe »

jbviau wrote:^^^ Maybe we should arrange a little S. FL meet-up over the summer? Would be fun.
I'd attend. The Chicago meet ups always look like fun.

Yoni mentioned if he likes the coffee from some of the new shops opening in Ft. Lauderdale he'd consider closing... He stated the only reason he opened The Coffee Grind Project was to have good coffee. I laughed it off as a joke as I was leaving, but he didn't laugh and had a serious look :shock: . I hope he was just messing around because I love that place, and it's really close to work. Him opening up new location sounds like a way better plan.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#20: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Right, I'd rather not see him shut the shop down, but I can also imagine him enjoying being able to focus on roasting.

About Warsaw, there's now an official opening date: 3/29. Also, Camila Ramos, formerly of Panther, will be training up staff there (source).